• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Help please!

No high sugar veg ie carrots and keep the pellets too a min,and chase her round the run for a bunny marathon:lol:let the bun eat more hay and less of the other stuff,rick

Cut out her pellets & treats and put her onto a hay and veggie diet which excludes the feeding of carrots, beans and mange tout.

Has she got an active friend? Inky keeps Smokey a bit slimmer by chasing her around, then she chases him and then they flop on the floor and lick eachother!

What do you feed your bunny on at the moment? Maybe then we can suggest how to change it to help her. What does she live in?

Thanks for your replies everyone!

My young daughter put that post on here earlier today, and I didn't know about it til now:oops::oops:

The rabster in question is my much longed for mini rex, which we picked up yesterday and are currently trying to bond with our other three.

She was from a rescue where they had very little space to run about and I think she got fat sitting in her hutch all day with not much else to do but eat.

Since we got her home I can report that she has been chased round the garden several times by my other rabbits and whilst I don't want to let them frighten her, I don't think a few runs will harm her:lol:

I am booking her in the vets asap to have her checked over, in the meantime I am weaning her off the mixed food and onto Excel, with hay, and the full range of fresh veg.(thanks for the pointer about carrots though - she had some yesterday:oops::oops:)

Hopefully I will soon see an improvement - if not, I'll be back for advice!!!

I would cut the dry food down to about a tablespoon max and really work hard on getting it to eat plenty of hay. The bonding and chasing around is all positive to weight loss, lots of hay and minimal pellets will also help.

Im slightly concerned she may have a bit much to deal with having just arrived from the rescue yesterday and not yet having settled, to be experiencing dietary changes and bonding.

I would keep a very close eye on her for signs of stress and possibly feed the diet she was on at the rescue for 7-10 days to let her settle in. Stress can cause upset to the GI tract and coupled with a new feeding regime she may start to experience GI issues.

yeh thats what happened with cookie,. he went into GI stasis cus he didnt settle etc etc etc

actually while theres a diet thread here....can i jump in and ask sumthing? (lol thanks)
my foster, Cookie is verrry chubby, he goes in the run from 9 til dark everyday, and i only give him a small handful of pellets a day and lots ans lots of hay with low sugar veg, but my mum is saying 'oh that isnt enough dry food' and keeps giving him more, im not being stingy with the food am i?

actually while theres a diet thread here....can i jump in and ask sumthing? (lol thanks)
my foster, Cookie is verrry chubby, he goes in the run from 9 til dark everyday, and i only give him a small handful of pellets a day and lots ans lots of hay with low sugar veg, but my mum is saying 'oh that isnt enough dry food' and keeps giving him more, im not being stingy with the food am i?

I'd cut the pellets down a bit so he has mainly hay & veg. When Tufty was on a diet she had around 10 pellets a day, a meal of veg and loads of hay.

Last edited:
No...I would cut it completely and feed two veg meals a day and ad lib hay if his tummy can handle it.

You could use a treatball to dispense his pellets and make him work for them.

I have also dieted rabbits on just 10 pellets a day plus a big veggie meal and hay.

Back