• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Insulating Hutch?

Kenno

Warren Scout
Some of you may know that my bunny's been abit poorly, but he's on the mend and back to his cheeky ways.

The vet had told me that his temperature was very low and could be due to the fact that he's outside in the cold. So what I want to know if there's anyway I can insulate his hutch so it's nice and cosy?

I've got pictures below of the set up, mind the mess and stains he's not litter trained yet. :roll: I do clean it but I don't know how to get rid of the staining. So if anyone can help me on that too, that's be great! :D

At the moment, in his bed compartment, I'm putting a layer of cut up cloths on the bottom and then a big pile of hay. The thing I'm worrying about in the bed is draughts from the trapdoor, as the trapdoor is usually replaced by a ramp during the day I tend not to cover it at night so ideas about a draught free trapdoor would be good.

He tends to spend most of his time stretched out in the main part, so at the moment it's just a layer of hay and then woodshavings or carefresh in his wee corners.

P1000374.jpg

P1000375.jpg

P1000376.jpg

P1000377.jpg

Sorry about the essay! :lol:

:wave:

I fill my buns bedroom part right up to the top with hay, and I stuff loads in :lol: They dig right into the middle of it sometimes and sleep there :D Also I give then snugglesafe heatpads which they sit on sometimes :D

It looks like he is just weeing in the bedroom part? How big is the bedroom part? Its just if you get a very large cat litter tray it will probably take up most of the room in there so he will start going to the toilet in the tray :D When I clean my hutches I use a solution of vinegar and water and there are no stains in my hutches, but mine have only peed on the wood a few times so they arent constantly going in the same place x

Also meant to say when its very cold I put old blankets over the hutch and then the waterproof covers x

As mentioned above, I put blankets around mine. ^^ And an old sleeping bag. Straw is supposed to be a good insulation type thing, or so I've heard, and shredded paper.

I'll stuff his bed with hay. He wee's in the main part, my grandad put the trapdoor part in the bed part, I didn't want to mention anything as he'd already screwed the base in place! :oops:

Do you reckon if I cut a vetbed into the shape of the trapdoor would that work to keep the draught out?

Yeah, I put strips of carpet around his hutch and then cover it with a hutch hugger. It's been super cold here recently though, I might see if we've got an old blanket as well.

I'd make a wooden box slightly smaller than his bed space with just a small hole for him to get in and out of, and put on a hinged lid and put it inside the hutch bed space filled with sawdust or similar on the bottom, a good layer of soft straw (as the poo falls through it) and loads of hay.
That'd give him a virtually draught proof bedroom

I think the snugles safes are well worth having for outdoor buns.

I got mine from P@H they were about £18.

If you microwave them for as long as it tells you on the box, they are meant to stay warm all night.

When i come to remove mine in the morning they are usually still warm - so it is true.

you could unscrew the bottom and rescrew it back on the other way then the stained bit will be on the outside!

you could then varnish the bottom but it does take a couple of days to dry when cool.

Your rabbit seems to like the same spot to wee so this is the bit to litter train him to use - stick soem soiled litter in the pan and he will hopefully start using it - we have a triangular corner one - I also read on here about using self adhesive velcro pieces to stick the tray down to the required spot.

Hi! we have the 6ft version of your hutch complete with carrot log roll!:lol:

We added another partition wall alongside the existing one as we felt the one supplied left the bedroom open and drafty. we just bought a piece of plywood, got it cut to size with a hole just big enough for the bunnies to get through (remember to sand down the sawn edges as they're quite sharp and splintered).

Other things we have considered are lining the walls with polystyrene and then covering with board.

I think the best solution to start off with would be either swapping the base around or the front panel which is only held on with four screws. I noticed you have done the same as us and put the front on upside down. another forum member kindly pointed out that the plastic toggles are supposed to swing down onto the little blocks of wood to stop predators scrabbling them open :oops:

I always remove the partition and put in small pet carrier for the sleeping area. If it's filled full of straw and hay it acts as a really well insulated cosy place. You could also line the floor with some self adhesive vynyl floor tiles which makes it very easy to keep clean. Megazorb is super absorbant(meant for horses, so can certainly cope with bunny wee:lol:).

Thanks for all the ideas, they're really good!

I think I'll try taking the partition out and replace it with a cosy pet carrier instead. I don't know whether he'd use it but at least it's there if he gets cold.

He's got a new hutch which he'll be moving into at the end of January with his wife, if bonding goes well. So it doesn't bother me too much about the staining as I plan on litter training him in his new hutch.

If you already have one of those plastic carriers already, just use that. If he decides to use it as it toilet it's easy to lift it out for cleaning.

I have a pet carrier but it's one with a lid. He's gotta stay inside until he's off his antibiotics so it gives me plenty of time to sort something out before he goes back outside!

Thanks for all the useful advice though, definately come in handy! :D

I line my hutch with cardboard - very insulating, doesnt matter if it gets chewed and can be replaced each year. In addition its free! Get mine from the supermarket/boxes.

Cara

I have a pet carrier but it's one with a lid. He's gotta stay inside until he's off his antibiotics so it gives me plenty of time to sort something out before he goes back outside!

Thanks for all the useful advice though, definately come in handy! :D
doesn't it have a door on it? I wedge the door open against the hutch door so it can't shut accidentally.
DSC01348.jpg

Mine have a snugglesafe heatpad each, loads of straw and hubby fitted a light with a 40watt bulb in that keeps the hutch warm, i also put bubble wrap across the mesh leaving a space at the end where the water bottles go

Back