• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Neutered boy bun - How long till the testosterone wears off?

loothi

New Kit
I am sure this has been answered somewhere but my internet is having problems searching the site.

My bun is about 10 months old and not aggressive but a bit fiesty - trashes my room and rips things up, with great aplomb. He can be a bit nippy too.

I have had him neutered a few weeks ago and his behaviour hasn't calmed at all.

How long until I the testosterone wears off? I read on one site it could be 6 months.

Can anyone confirm?
thanks
~loothi

It can vary, but usually within a few weeks. It might be that the behaviour such as nipping has become habitual because he realises he can get his own way, or it might just be a 'teenage' thing that will go away in time.

BTW The paper ripping and trashing stuff is pretty normal for buns, they don't make the greatest house guests. :lol:

Amy

Depends on how old and how hormonal the rabbit was before neutering.

As a general rule they dont start to calm down fully until around 18 months when they are though the terrible teen stage.

As far as hormones after 'the snip' go, you will probably notice a change within a few weeks.

When I had Billy neutered it took about 3 months before he really calmed down enough to try to bond him with Emily. He was almost 3 when he was neutered.

Back