• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Been back to the vets and dilemma U/D 4th Feb

GemmaH

Mama Doe
Well after seeming better following his anti-biotics, Jasper took a turn for the worse again so we've been back to the vets this morning. The vet said although his airways sounded fairly clear (a different vet last time said they were noisy) and his temperature was normal that his respiratory rate and heart rate were high. He's given us a 10 day course of Baytril and some Metacam for Jasper, Honey is also to have the Baytril although she's not as ill as Jasper.

My dilemma is that I got them last year but since then have unexpectedly had my third baby and I just don't have the time to spend a lot of time with them, especially if, as I suspect, this is going to be something that keeps cropping up.

Could anyone with experience of this type of illness advise me exactly what the future outlook is likely to be with these two? I hate to think about giving them up for rehoming but if their health is likely to be something that needs full attention then I'm wondering if it might be a better option for them? :cry:

Last edited:
Respiratory tract infections in Rabbits do need aggressive treatment. The current thinking from most Rabbit Savvy Vets is that a minimum SIX WEEK course of Baytril is needed. Although in more acute/severe infections a more 'heavy duty' antibiotic may be required from the outset.

Once a Rabbit has had a RTI then they may well have a predisposition to them in the future. They will need careful monitoring. Regular weight checks ( once a week) are a good idea as weightloss is often an early symptom of a recurrence of infection.

Janex

Back