• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Mites in a bunny treat

Phoebesmummy9

Warren Veteran
I today went out and spent a good £30 in a petshop on some nice treats for my 3 buns over xmas. I was sitting on the floor doin the last of my wrappin and picked up an asda carrier back.. to find the bottom of it COVERED in mites! I was quite disgusted! i run downstairs to show my dad and he goes they aint fleas and puts the carier in a dish of hot water and bleac JUST INCASE! Anyways i come upstairs AND one of the bunny treats had a swarm of mite things coming out the corner of the packet! IM FURIOUS that cud of harmed my poor bunnies! ive wrapped it up and im taking it back to the petshop on monday PRONOTO They were jhonsons Picnic Treat for 95p! I feel really sick now, if i hadnt of noticed, anything cud of happened :shock:

god thats awful:?

i noticed mites in harry the hampster food when i was a child, i think this is down to the amount of time the food gets left on the shelves?

i stick to hay experts/very good pet shops/online stores now for treats/hay and make sure its natural fresh stuff.

I would definetly take it back and complain. I remember my sister fidning something in her hamster food a few years ago and she went back to the shop and complained x

As a manager for PAH if you bought it from me, I would rather you came back and gave us a chance to rectify the matter. Also, it gives the store the opportunity to check the rest of the stock and warn all other stores to check theirs for infestation.

It can happen at the processing plant, or it could be a tiny tear in the packaging that allows 'things' to enter.

You need to understand that wherever there is a food source for insects, bugs and weevils etc, then they will exist.

I used to work as a store manager for a well known supermarket and we'd have the odd bag of flour returned due to infestation of weevils....it happens I'm afraid.

i bought the johnsons picnic treats for my rats from my local p@home a few years too. when i went to give them it i opened it to meet tiny little orangey bugs coming out at me god knows what they were.i was meant to take it back with selotape around the packet but i kept forgetin to take it in:roll::censored:

I would take it back so the store can check the rest of the stick and make sure no-one elses bunnies get an unwanted 'extra'.

I doubt it was the stores fault, these things do happen, but they should still be happy to refund you as the manufacturers will refund the store.

Back