• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Animals in petshops at Christmas

Hunnybunny2007

Warren Veteran
I was in my local pet shop today, not very often I drop in - and for a change I was actually pleased at what he was telling a customer. She had come in for a hamster, but he said due to the holidays he had no livestock in:rolleyes:
I personally wish he never had rabbits etc in, however, there is only normally 2 rabbits at any one time and perhaps 2 guinea pigs (not in the same cages). They always have plenty of food, water and hay and always look clean.
I was going to try to speak to the lady to tell her about rescues, but by the time I got served she had disappeared.
However, I went away thinking about all the other animals in pet shops up and down the country over the holidays:(

Sue x

I had cause to drop into my local petshop yesterday, somewhere i try to avoid :roll: and in their 3x3x about 18 inches compound i counted at least 10 buns :cry:

I know I try not to think about it too much, as it makes me really sad thinking about them all alone in the stores. It's how we ended up with Flynn ( he came home with me new years eve 2 years ago for that very reason).I couldn't stand him all alone, he had a torn ear too. I just had to bring him home so he had new hope at new year.:D

Probably no livestock so they dont have to be fed over the holidays.

A week ago there were no bunnies in our local P@H, Friday there were about 11 of them.

Just incase anyone wanted to stock up for Christmas :(

Our local garden centre usually only has a few but mum and I felt angry when we popped in to get the rat food 2 weeks ago when they must of had about 12, there were 4 rabbits in a little enclosure with no run yet in the same size hutch they had one rabbit in there... Makes me think someone had bought him back for being "vicous" so they put emptied out a cage to make room. :evil:

do these poor buns get fed and watered over Christmas? :cry:. can't imagine someone going into P@H on Xmas day.

me neither :(
I had a massive bust up with the manager in pets at home.
it was about the rats rather than the rabits - after I had very vocally told everyone looking at them not to get one because there are so many in rescue!
Anyways when I went to pay - I was asking about the rats he gave them most wrong info! and he said '' I really cant be caring about the :censored: animals cant you see we're busy - the animals dont matter right now'' :evil::evil::evil:
Very tempted to right to head office - not that it does any good

do these poor buns get fed and watered over Christmas? :cry:. can't imagine someone going into P@H on Xmas day.

I know, its quite worrying isnt it. Surely someone must have to go in and feed them - anything could happen if they're just left:shock:

me neither :(
I had a massive bust up with the manager in pets at home.
it was about the rats rather than the rabits - after I had very vocally told everyone looking at them not to get one because there are so many in rescue!
Anyways when I went to pay - I was asking about the rats he gave them most wrong info! and he said '' I really cant be caring about the :censored: animals cant you see we're busy - the animals dont matter right now'' :evil::evil::evil:
Very tempted to right to head office - not that it does any good

omg thats terrible, from memory there is a p@h area manager that comes on here, report it to him/her, disgusting

I had to go to P@H yesterday and whilst all the animals in my local branch are well cared for and have information posters up by them, I just felt sad cos i saw so many mums and kids buying hamsters, guinea pigs etc that im sure are xmas presents and will be neglected once the novelty wears off :(

i dont thinks animals should be sold in pet shops at all but especially not over xmas or easter.

Probably no livestock so they dont have to be fed over the holidays.

That was what he was saying - I nearly bought a cockatiel about 2 years ago from there because I didn't want it to be left unfed/watered for the Christmas period. Glad to say when I went back it had been sold the day before - just hope it went to a good home.

Wish all pet shops followed this rule, no doubt there will be a lot of furries left to fend for themselves over the Christmas period:censored:

Sue x

P@H management are contractually obliged to work over xmas and N.yrs.Even when the store is closed there are atleast two members of staff (one management and one staff member) who feed, water and skip out.

i went to my parents local P@H yesterday and there were way too many rats in one of those glass tanks. Big boys too, they were in a huge rat pile underbeath some fiddlesticks. You couldnt see anything but rat under there!!!

our local pet shop sells puppies and over christmas dont have any in, but they did have other pets in

2 members of staff (1 management and 1 other) have to attend the store each day it is closed to clean, feed and water ALL animals.
The alarm monitoring company will report any store not attending and those persons not attending will be in quite a lot of trouble (and deservedly so).

So, you now can imagine someone going into PAH on Xmas Day :)

Last edited:
The petshop I work at got about 20 new puppies in only about four days ago and about 5 of those have been sold already. All the hamsters were sold and there were new kittens but no-one wanted the rabbits. They have been there for about two months. They aren't baby rabbits so that's probably why they aren't being sold. Some one has to go there every day to feed, water and clean them out. The plan was to sell all the animals before Christmas and not have any animals to look after over Christmas, but the manager went and saw an opportuntiey to sell puppies so went and got loads of puppies. :roll: It's a business, if there's an easy opportuntiey for a large amount of money, most of you would take it. I know I would.

I've worked in petshops (not PAH though) with animals and managers were given the responsibility of going in Christmas day, New Years day, etc to feed the animals (and yes they did do it too!)

Back