• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bonding advice please!

Hazel at RabTowers

Warren Scout
Just picked up a mini rex from a rescue this afternoon and trying to bond her with my two girls and boy.

So far all are in my kitchen and after a few chases round (new rabbit very nervous) all are now quiet.

They are all sniffing each other from time to time but are generally sitting apart and not doing anything - think new one is still very nervous.

I will keep them all in the same room for a couple more hours, but usually mine all sleep togehter in a shed in the garden.

If there has been no chasing/biting for a few hours (but no grooming either) am I best to put all together tonight and risk it turning nasty when I am asleep and indoors, or do I put the new girl in a hutch inside the shed so she can see but not touch the others?

Any advice gratefully received - I soooooo want this to work!!!

I had this problem when i tried to introduce a female to my male and two other females as the male and females got on great together. They were the same at first. Good news is that they arent particularly threatened by eachother as they arent bothered in eachothers company. Bad news is that bonding can take a long time.

I suggest to do it over a period of a few days. Too much involvement, especially when you're not there could push one of them to the limit and they might lash out.

Perhaps it is best to keep this rabbit seperate and each day, leave them together by themselfs while you are in another room/ area for 5 minutes the first day, 15 the next etc to see how the react when your not there.

Hopefully they will become more intrigued with eachother in a positive way. Really hope this works out xx

Thanks for your advice - its nice to hear from someone else bonding to a two female one male group:wave::wave:

Update:

Things seemed to have improved a little in our kitchen although fingers crossed we are taking it slowly.

Our new girl (Ruby) is moving about a bit now, has eaten and drunk and is being groomed by the boy and one of the girls and isn't bothering.

She is still nervous (as a rescue I don't know her background) but seems a bit more out of her shell.

We are going to leave all four in the kitchen for the night and see what they are like in the morning.

Thanks again.

Back