• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Urgent: Advice Needed!

Kenno

Warren Scout
Hi

I had to rush Tomee to the vets this morning for an urgent appointment as he wasn't himself. He wasn't eating, drinking and was just lying down and it was like his was really uncomfortable as he kept changing positions. He just didn't look very well.

So I took him to the vets and he felt his stomach, checked his bum, his breathing and heartbeat and his temperature was very low. He gave him 3 different anti-biotics and told him to keep him inside, warm and to seringe feed him this 'recovery' stuff.

Well he's still resting and stuff but when he feels like it he perks up abit. I've just tried to seringe fed him this stuff and it just won't seringe. The mixtures to thick and it just squirts out at high speed, now if I try to seringe bunny it's gonna shoot down his neck and I don't want to do that. He's ok with the seringe being in his mouth, that's not a problem. I just want to know if anyone can give me any advice on how to feed him this stuff?

Oh and I can hear his stomach gurggling like he's hungry but he won't touch his food. Can anyone give me any advice please?

I'm really worried, cos he needs to eat!

:cry:

You can mix it up a bit weaker, stuff the tip of a pair of scissors (or similar) in the end to widen it a bit, or chop the end off. If he's soft of interested you can try offering it to him to drink from a bowl or lick off your finger :)

Tam

Thanks! :)

I've tried putting it on my finger, bunny didn't want it.

I've widened the seringe and it seems to be squirting ok, so I'll try that now.

Do you think it would matter if the stuff was really diluted to the point where it's literally water? It just won't fit up the seringe as it's too thick.

I'll try putting some on the feet if the seringe thing won't work.

Thanks! :)

I've tried putting it on my finger, bunny didn't want it.

I've widened the seringe and it seems to be squirting ok, so I'll try that now.

Do you think it would matter if the stuff was really diluted to the point where it's literally water? It just won't fit up the seringe as it's too thick.

I'll try putting some on the feet if the seringe thing won't work.

If you can't get it in the syringe put the syringe in to the mix, draw up the end then tap it (keeping it under the water). That should fill it. When feeding, put the syringe in the side, pointing at the opposite cheek, then if it does skirt too quick it will just end up over you not going down the back of the throat :)

The fibre in it is what's important so you do need the mix to be as thick as practical.

Tam

It doesnt matter how dilute the recovery / critical care is as it is essential that your rabbit gets plenty of fluids as well as this stuff to aid gut motility. Dehydration is just as bad for the rabbit as is no food in the gut,

I always make it a bit more watery than it should be, not only is it easier to syringe (go into the cheek pocket so you dont choke him tho) but it also ensures they are getting fluids if they arent drinking much.

Last edited:
That stuff is a nightmare to squirt out of a syringe. I ended up just smearing the recovery stuff around her mouth and hoping she'd groom it off. The vet told me to try gluten free vegetarian baby food through a syringe - much easier to squirt, I also cooked and pureed up some veg for her and syringe fed that. Lots of get well soon bunny vibes x

You say your Rabbit was given '3 antibiotics' :?
I hope what was actually given was pain relief, gut motility stimulant and I guess no 3 might have been an antibiotic :?

If your Rabbit has *not* had pain relief then you need to contact the Vet again. A Rabbit in pain wont eat. I agree that making the CC Feed very watery is fine. As Janice says, fluid is as important as food to a poorly Bun.

I hope Tomee feels better soon

Janex :)

Hi Everyone

Thanks for all the advice and vibes, it's really helped me nurse little Tomee. :)

I've managed to feed him about 20mls of the recovery by widening the syringe and watering it down, feeding him every half an hour.

He's started eating a little bit, carrots, greens and hay. He's not pooped or wee'd yet so I'm just hoping something comes along soon. Any advice on what to do if he doesn't poop?

Jack's-Jane he's had 0.60mls of Baytril & 0.18mls of Metacam, I just checked my bill. So not 3 different anti-biotics, the vet gave him 3 injections said he was giving him anti-biotics and didn't specify what. :roll:

Thanks Jayney!

Bunny's gone a little hyper and decided he won't be feeding from the seringe anymore and just wants to run round the dining room instead.

How can I calm him down so he won't get so hyper when I try to feed him?

That's a good sign, if he's moving around and eating on his own. It's good for their tummies to keep moving.
It seems like you're waiting forever, when waiting for poop, but it will come! I think they can have gut stimulants every 8 hours, but it doesn't sound like he'll need it.

Aww, that sounds like progress :) Adding a little apple juice to the water and providing a bowl in addition to a bottle can help encourage him to drink plenty if he's to busy for the syringe.

Tamsin

He does seem alot more like himself and he's eating more and more, still no drinking.

Is that apple juice from the apple or would carton do?

I'm just praying for poo at the moment, any kind will do! :lol:

I might set him up a little obstacle course in a bit and let him run about again, get that gut moving.

Pure apple juice from a carton is fine, it just needs a tiny splash - rabbits have sensitive noses ;)

Tamsin

awww poor little baby.. and poor you.. very very scary stuff when they stop eating.... well done on getting him to the vets he seems to be well on the mend before it got very serious.... sending poo vibes xxxxx

Back