• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Timothy hay for horses

sillyrabbit

Wise Old Thumper
I just went to get my megazorb and rat bedding and while I was there I saw this huge bag of Timothy hay that said Timothy hay for horses.

Is this suitable for rabbits? I asked a man who worked there and he said no because it says its for horses on the bag, is hay for horses different to the hay we give our rabbits?

I've always used my horses hay for the buns.

My horse always had the best quality hay i could get as he suffered from asthma and the buns love it!

Really :D It would be so much easier to just buy one big bag of hay because the only Timothy hay I can get here is the small bags of Oxbow and its a pain because the vets wont let me buy more than three bags at one time :? :roll:

I've not idea why they told you it would only be suitable for horses :?

Perhaps he was a new boy! :lol:

Hi :wave:

I've been buying bales of Timothy Hay for my buns, they love it. It was grown for horse hay but the farmer thought if too nice to just go to the horses.
It's canadian Tim Hay, the buns love it.

Did it have any packaging so you could find out who grew it and do an internet search on it?
You may be able to buy it direct then.:)

Or have you tried buying Oxbow from Petlifeonline, I've bought 4kg boxes from them before or maybe your vet could order the boxes for you? :)
It does cost just over £30 though. :cry:

Cool :D Not sure what name it was but I can go back and check :D Ive no problem buying it from there though, they dont sell animals :D It was an old guy who told me not to give it to them but I will pop back up next week and get some.

I dont really want to start ordering the timothy hay, I already order their oat hay and postage would be too much if I was ordering all their hay because they eat so much of it :D

I dont know why the vets are like that, each time I go in im only allowed to buy three bags of the stuff :roll: :? So I have to go every week just to buy hay. The receptionist said she couldnt go selling all the hay to just one person :? Like it matters as long as they are selling it! And they wont order me bigger bags of it :( It was the same with the oxbow pellets, I could only buy two of the small bags at a time so was going back there all the time and in the end I just switched them to Science Selective because its available in shops where they dont limit you to how much you can buy :roll:

The Oxbow is expensive I've only been paying £5 for a bale of the canadian Timothy but I've bought a box of the Oxbow Millie & Jacks Christmas present :lol:

What a pain your vets won't let you buy more :evil:

I feed my bunnies the same hay that the school feeds the horses, sheep and calves :D Works perfectly, and the rabbits love it (Zakura and Sasuke were both raised on it)
If I were to buy hay from pet shops it would only last a week, and cost a fortune. Now I pay just as much hay for one bale as I would for one small bag at the pet shop:roll:

The Oxbow is expensive I've only been paying £5 for a bale of the canadian Timothy but I've bought a box of the Oxbow Millie & Jacks Christmas present :lol:

What a pain your vets won't let you buy more :evil:

I know its so stupid :? Like it matters how much is being brought by one person! And im still buying the amount I want, just going in every few days instead of getting it all in one go! :roll:

This Timothy hay was about £7 and was about 5 times the size of an Oxbow bag anyway so that will be good if they like it :D

We've just brought a huge bale of horse hay for the buns, so I hope it's ok. Maybe it might not be as good a quality since horses are so much bigger and eat more. :lol: I've noticed the strands are a lot longer but it smells yummy.

Back