• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

How many should be kept in 1 pen together?

angeleyes

Warren Veteran
12?
I've been into a pet shop where there were 12 bunnies in one pen together :? They were almost sitting on top of each other, I think this is very wrong are there any official guidelines on this?

Also the door to the hammy tank was left open so we could have put them in our pockets and taken them home :shock: :shock:

It just seems to get worse :(

I went into a local pet shop for a nosy recently. They have their buns & GP's in tank-type containers, about 3'x2', glass at the front. They all had cards on reading 'ideal Christmas present' and one had a card on saying that it was reserved and being collected Christmas Eve.

The rodents were even worse, 3 rats in one tank that I'd guess was only about 12" long, and about 15 syrian hammies in another one the same size, they were all on top of each other. The birds were also in tiny compartments with perches in, no way of stretching their wings. None of the cages/tanks had anything to do in them, just a food bowl :(

Katie

If this is a hounslow borough pet shop, this document http://www.hounslow.gov.uk/pet_shop_conditions.pdf gives you information further down to say how much space rabbits must be given if they are to keep to the terms of the licence. If they dont reach this amount of space please inform the local envioromental people who issue the licence.

Katie

If this is a hounslow borough pet shop, this document http://www.hounslow.gov.uk/pet_shop_conditions.pdf gives you information further down to say how much space rabbits must be given if they are to keep to the terms of the licence. If they dont reach this amount of space please inform the local envioromental people who issue the licence.

Thanks Janice
I can't really work out the measurements but the pen is max 5ft by 5ft (its the biggest one in there) with 12 bunnies I'd say they were breaching their licence as the space should be 7500 cm sq does that sound right?

It would be 7500 square cms for 12 rabbits. 5 ft by 5 ft is 22 500 square cms, so they coud fit even more bunnies into that pen. 42 rabbits, to be exact. That can't be right somehow. :? Anyone good at maths?? :lol:

:lol: :lol: :lol:
You wouldn't think I work in accounts would you? My excuse is I am really ill today and my brain isn't functioning properly

Surely they are not allowed to have 42 in that space?! They are already on top of each other I tink I have been generous with 5ft anyway!

OMG that IS right :shock: :shock: :shock:

They are basically saying you can keep 1 rabbit in a space 1ft 5in by 1ft 5in giving each additional bunny a quarter of that size :evil:
I am socked to say the least :cry:

OMG that IS right :shock: :shock: :shock:

They are basically saying you can keep 1 rabbit in a space 1ft 5in by 1ft 5in giving each additional bunny a quarter of that size :evil:
I am socked to say the least :cry:

They say it is for young rabbits. For adult ones you have to supply double that space. Which means you could put 21 adult rabbits in the same space, doesn't it???

Back