• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

OH! Peanut is biting her stitches!!!

nemmie

Warren Scout
We thought we were on the home run what with Peanut eating, drinking etc etc. but I took her for her post spay check and the vet said she has been nibbling her stitches!!!! She is on Baytril and he said if she continues she will have to have a collar but he does not want to go down that road yet. Please can anyone offer anymore advice of what i can do for her?

Keep her distracted with yummy hay or veg to munch on or new toys to gnaw. Filling a kitchen roll tube with hay makes a great toy and will give Peanut something else to do instead of biting her stitches!

Have you seen her do it? When Rhia was poorly after her spey, the vet told me she'd been at her stiches - she couldn't possibly have been, as I'd not left her side since I brought her home, she even slept with me! So I knew 100% that she hadnt, Told the idiot vet this & it turned out that it was just that she'd had a very slight reaction to something used in the spey that had made her slightly scabby - Could it be that do you think? :) X

i have just been through all this with Dusty........first stiches removed, then glue and finally staples-lost count of how many she had in! even bought her a baby vest from asda to stop her getting to the staples.. the staples worked the best though as they stayed in the longest till her wound healed. took longer than usual but finally achieved it....need to check that wound does not become infected so she had antibiotics.......collar stressed her out plus it means they can't get to their second helpings!
good luck, hope this info helps!

Keep her distracted with yummy hay or veg to munch on or new toys to gnaw. Filling a kitchen roll tube with hay makes a great toy and will give Peanut something else to do instead of biting her stitches!

Hi ya and thank you Peanut loves her new toy!

She has def been biting them but i don't think she is so much anymore.
Since she has been on baytril the wound looks a lot smaller (i think it was quite swollen) and there is just one tiny scab at the bottom of the wound. Thats where our vet said he knotted the stitches off. There is no blood, no pus nothing at all just apart from a small red scab. I check it at least 5 times a day and it is never wet aways dry. I hope she has stopped now and the scab will fall off in time. The rest of her wound looks perfect. Thank you all once again.

Last edited:
How long ago was she speyed and are the stitches dissolvable ones?

After the first 3 days, when I can see a good seal has developed over the wound, I tend not to worry if they chew the stitches. I check the wound daily to make sure there is no infection though.

I have had a couple of bunnies develope a reaction to the stitches which did cause them to nibble at them due to the irritation and if adequate pain relief is not provided as necessary after the op pain can also cause them to chew on the wound.

Hi Sooz! Yes they are the disolvable ones and she was spayed last monday so exactly a week ago. She is on baytril and i check the wound so many times everyday to make sure it is not really red and puffy or weeping which it's not. Your post has really encouraged me cos I think she is going to be fine. Thank you.

Back