• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Baytril syringe feeding!!

DDD

Mama Doe
Douglas has been given Baytril today, he is to have 0.3mls twice a day for 10days as he has extremely swollen genitals. I also have to clean the area twice a day as getting crusty and sometimes he cannot clean all the poo off. Is there much I have to look out for whilst they are on baytril. Im worried about starting it so close to xmas incase a reaction or is it normally ok????

Baytril is a very safe antibiotic for Rabbits and seldom causes any GI disturbances.
I would advise you to give Douglas a probiotic (Bio Lapis, Fibreplex) whilst he is on treatment. It is thought that probiotics may help prevent 'bad gut bacteria' sticking to the gut wall causing enteritis.

http://www.petvetcare.co.uk/acatalog/Small_Animals_Pets.html

I would also make sure Douglas has lots of hay and avoid feeding sugary foods such as Carrots and Fruit

Janex

Ok i will up Douglas' fibre intake. Unfortunately won't be able to get the probiotic as won't arrive in time due to xmas. I will do the high fibre diet, and observe closely. Maybe it would be a good idea for me to order some of those pro-biotics for future use if necessary??

Ok i will up Douglas' fibre intake. Unfortunately won't be able to get the probiotic as won't arrive in time due to xmas. I will do the high fibre diet, and observe closely. Maybe it would be a good idea for me to order some of those pro-biotics for future use if necessary??

You should be able to get a probiotic from your Vet. Some Pet Shops stock one called Avipro Plus which is also OK to use :D

Janex

You should be able to get a probiotic from your Vet. Some Pet Shops stock one called Avipro Plus which is also OK to use :D

Janex

OK will check pet shops later. Thanks Jane. I hope his poor genitals clear up soon as it looks sore, poor little mite. It doesnt bother him, it bothers me!!

By the way Jane - i also took Desmond to the vets about his nose, she says it looks like an injury rather than syphyllis as not crusty, and not got worse since first onset. xx

Hopefully it'll clear up soon then :)

Janex

yeh i hope so as between the two of them they are worrying me so much!!!

Douglas has been very good at taking his baytril. i've been giving 0.1ml at a time as easier to get him to take it. he doesn't stop me or fight me.

Good luck with the baytril, my Inky is on it as well at the mo. He's hates it though! I find mixing it with pineapple juice works quite well.

Good luck with the baytril, my Inky is on it as well at the mo. He's hates it though! I find mixing it with pineapple juice works quite well.

He doesn't seem to mind it at present - things may change though after having it for 10days so will have to see how it goes. I find if I do a small amount at a time, he can't say no, and has to swallow!!! Gosh, if this was a patient of mine (i'm a nurse) i would be struck off for force feeding medicines!!!

Back