• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

What exactly ARE 'spring greens'?

casu consulto

Mama Doe
:oops:
I'm confuzzled. I really am.
My bunnies get about three pieces of veg per day, but I don't want to give them cabbage, broccoli or parsley quite so often. I don't want to worry over gritty pee and worry about calcium intake being too high, or with the broccoli and the cabbage, about gas. I'm a worrier - there's no fixing it. That's not to say I'm not going to give them these things, of course. But at the moment, finding three different pieces daily is a little tricky. I want them to have variety. And quite often people seem to recommend 'spring greens'... which is fine, but I have no idea what these are, and I've yet to see them in bags at the supermarket. Anyone? ._.

its like a big green leaf!

on the packet it says spring greens, sorry its not a great reply but thats as far as my knowledge goes!!!!

Last edited:
just googled it and its usually a type of cabbage but can be from other veg too.

it said

Spring greens are those leafy greens from any Brassica. They might be cabbage, they might be Swedes, or something else. I believe the ones grown as a "main crop" were cabbage.

Last edited:
chelsea has hal a big leaf a day of spring greens my description is comes in a bag a giant cabbbage leaf but a very dark green colour tesco sells it in the veg section. (mind u she is in the garden all day and enjoys foraging the apple tree leaves and the nut tree leaves..and any other plants lol!!!

spring greens are cabbage :lol: I think :rolleyes: Anyway - fact is unless your rabbit has a problem with processing calcium, they NEED calcium in their diet - it's good for their teeth and bones :) If they drink plenty, don't have too many pellets (main source of calcium) and bearing in mind that veg is moist (I always wet green anyway when I wash them) - and also bearing in mind they don't eat hardly any - just a medium sized leaf - it won't hurt majority of rabbits to have greens daily.

Im so glad someone posted this as I was too embarrassed to admit I didnt know the difference:oops: :oops: Tesco's sell "Fresh Greens" - is this the same as Spring Greens as my buns like it but Im not sure if they should have it everyday if it is cabbage

i thought id rather feed like that but read that bunnies can get bored and not get the nutrients they need if they have the same veg day in day out.

I used to make a big plate of different veg but as I have a fair few fosters buns pass through, its easier to stick to a regular diet, usually a spring leaf, a slice of carrot and maybe a tiny piece of broccoli. I do occassionally give a little something extra or cut a chunk of fresh grass, but I find that sticking to fewer things regularly, is safer and less likely to upset a new foster buns tum.

Im so glad someone posted this as I was too embarrassed to admit I didnt know the difference:oops: :oops: Tesco's sell "Fresh Greens" - is this the same as Spring Greens as my buns like it but Im not sure if they should have it everyday if it is cabbage

Glad to help. It IS sort of embarassing to ask. :oops: But it's been puzzling me for a while, and everyone else seemed to just know... I felt all left out of some secret. :lol:

I feed half and half spring greens and lettuce (usually Kos or Romaine), so that they don't have too much cabbage type food in one go.

Added to that they have carrot and celery.

I feed the same 4 veg every day, although I do sometimes replace the spring greens with cabbage or kale.

Amy

i get just 'greens' from sainsbury's. can't imagine why anyone would buy them for themselves as they look even less appetising than cabbage, but hey ho they're cheap :D . there is one point though - i think i may be overfeeding :oops: :oops: :oops: . they get a couple of greens leaves (or handful of kale), couple pieces brocolli and a baby sweetcorn or bit of cucumber twice a day. is this too much?? i have started to hide it around their run to keep them active and so they don't just sit and scoff.:?

i get just 'greens' from sainsbury's. can't imagine why anyone would buy them for themselves as they look even less appetising than cabbage, but hey ho they're cheap :D . there is one point though - i think i may be overfeeding :oops: :oops: :oops: . they get a couple of greens leaves (or handful of kale), couple pieces brocolli and a baby sweetcorn or bit of cucumber twice a day. is this too much?? i have started to hide it around their run to keep them active and so they don't just sit and scoff.:?

Is that per rabbit, or divided between your rabbits? I think 4 large spring green leaves every day, plus other veg, might be a bit much, but it depends on the size of rabbit and how many pellets they have.

Barney loves celery... He used to nibble on a stick of it... But I read somewhere it's stringy and can clog them, so I've been wary of it since? Is celery quite safe? ^^ 'Cos he never suffered any problems when he ate it, but since reading somewhere it could possibly cause problems I've only fed him little cubes of it.

Back