• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bonding fights U/D Happy couple

vicki267

Mama Doe
Am sat in the bath right now with a broom handy as I have just put Kira and Arnie together for the first time.

So far they are tending to keep to their side of the room but Kira did make the first move and went over to say hi.

Arnie seems like he wants to be dominant as he started a fight which I ended with the broom, this happend about another 2 times and now they are each sat in a litter tray.

Have followed all the bonding advice on the forum and am hoping it will get better.

How long should I give it before interfering with the broom next time as I know they have to work things out between them but am scared Kira will get hurt as she is still alot smaller than him.

At this rate they will be thinking the broom is boss :lol:

Last edited:
I've been bonding my 2 bunnies since 3.30pm. I've had a few fur-pulling scuffles & now they are ignoring each other. One is on the floor the other is sitting on the loo! (with the seat down thankfully).

No idea how long it will take for my 2 to settle down. I'm on to my 2nd glass of wine for the stress:lol:

I'm a complete bonding wuss, but Id' say leave them to it if it's just a bit of chasing and fur pulling. Only intervene if they're locked on and rolling around kicking out their back legs or one is chasing and actually injuring the other.

Good luck

Amy

Hope all goes well with the bonding! Sorry I have no advice to offer :oops: :rolleyes: I'll be starting my bonding next week :shock: :shock: So I'm sure I'll be on here asking questions too!

Good luck!

Good luck!
Don't know if you saw my thread on bonding but if its possible you may find that taking out the litter trays might help. Mine are on laminate so I can just mop up though. :D

Thanks for replies...

I have an update although not much if any progress has been made. :?

After their 4 little scuffles yesterdays they each sat in litter trays ignoring eachother eating hay.

I decided to section off a little bit of the bathroom so now they are in a space of about 4ft maybe by 3ft as I thought it would be a smaller space to fight in.

At about 8:30pm I put a bowl of veg in to see how it went, they were both fine until half the veg had gone and Arnie realised Kira was a faster eater than him and gave her another little nip, she then retreated to a litter tray and ate more hay for a few hours.

At about 10pm Arnie came bounding over and started a bigger fight where I wanted to separate Kira to check for wounds as it looked like he wasa pinning her down with his teeth. She was OK a little shaken and wimpering whilst snuggling up to me. I only had her out 10 mins and when I put her back in all seemed ok (ignoring each other).

All through the night we had no more fights.... Until about 7am when as soon as I told Arnie off he stopped, 8:30am another big fight. Poor Kira was crying even more this time so I checked her again and still no sign of any wounds, I feel so sorry for her :cry:

Just put a bowl of pellets in and Arnie wont let her go near them so will have to feed her separetely in a bit :roll:

I have a few things that I would like to mention:

1) I would like to try a method out, putting them into the carry case and taking a walk/drive but am so concerned that Arnie will just have enough room to turn and bite her. Would you say this is a pretty good method to use?

2) The litter trays were both neuteral but since the buns have been in there they have pooped and peed in each tray so would taking them out really make a difference?

3) I hate this, Arnie is usually such a softie and it's breaking my heart to see Kira bullied like that :cry:

Forgot to mention that hay is scattered all over the enclosure for them.

Also if I take the litter trays out Arnie wont go to the toilet at all. Last time he didn't have anywhere to "go" he went too long without relieving himself and ending up with a bit of bloat and as soon as I put his cage back he managed a wee and strained for some poops. Although Kira wouldn't have a problem pooping and weeing all over the laminate so would that make him even more mad considering he is the dominant one?

I never feed my group of girls from one bowl - it's asking for fighting and bullying so I scatter the veg on the floor, and pour the pellets from the plate into a long line for them, so there's nothing to guard.

Just noticed you want to take out the litter trays too - why is that? They need to live in this area for a few days, so they will need several litter trays :)

Just noticed you want to take out the litter trays too - why is that? They need to live in this area for a few days, so they will need several litter trays :)

It's in reply to what was mentioned above, I would prefer to leave them where they are :?

I will scatter a few pellets about today like I have with the hay but since the fight this am Kira wont leave one of the trays.

Does anyone think that I should try the carry case idea?

Although this forum has good advice it's very contradicting in places and I'm getting confused. I just want to do the best by my buns :cry:

It's in reply to what was mentioned above, I would prefer to leave them where they are :?

I will scatter a few pellets about today like I have with the hay but since the fight this am Kira wont leave one of the trays.

Does anyone think that I should try the carry case idea?

Although this forum has good advice it's very contradicting in places and I'm getting confused. I just want to do the best by my buns :cry:

Theres no harm in trying the carry case idea,Do what you think is best and just try getting pointers off here as evryone has differant ways too go about bonding,rick

Thanks, I have now scattered more food around the room and in Kira's tray. No more fighting as yet.

I have decided to be brave next time and let the fight go a little further as I think I am just getting in their way although I will keep a close eye and if it goes on for a while will let them calm down then try the carry case idea.

Getting one bun into a carry case is hard enough any idea how I would get both of them to go in there? They refuse it as they know it usually means the vets :roll:

I think now you've scattered food around they will be OK :) bonding is so stressful on rabbits, I would just leave them be and not bother with carry cases unless they are really proving difficult - a bit of scuffling is normal behaviour, even amongst my long-time bonded group of girls - just watch they don't lock on and whirl around digging at each other. They need to be in this area a few days and nights - hopefully they'll get used to each other by tonight, and maybe even get friendly by tomorrow night - you can't rush things :)

OK thanks will keep you updated :D

Although I scattered hay about yesterday they still fought, since topping it up this morning they were sat cautiously next to each other eating it :)

I have another question... Can someone tell me when I will get some sleep :lol:

Well there has been no more fights since this am.

Kira isn't as scared as before, she keeps running up to him and then runs away again.

I got them to sit in the same litter tray by offering him a treat and he hasn't attacked her since that (touch wood)!

He sat with his back to her about an hour ago which is weird as he likes to keep an eye on where she is but Kira started to groom his moulting back :lol:

He looked round at this point to see what was happening but had a kinda "you may continue" look on his face. She played better safe than sorry and stopped :roll:

The o/h said he saw them push noses up against each other so am pleased there has been some progress although dont wish to speak too soon :?

Will see how they are this evening and after dinner, wish me luck for tonight and actually getting a few hours kip :?

At about 10pm Arnie came bounding over and started a bigger fight where I wanted to separate Kira to check for wounds as it looked like he wasa pinning her down with his teeth. She was OK a little shaken and wimpering whilst snuggling up to me. I only had her out 10 mins and when I put her back in all seemed ok (ignoring each other).

From your description it sounds like he is displaying mating behaviour. Is he grabbing her fur on the back of her neck in his teeth and humping her? If so, this isn't aggression, just sexual excitement and dominance. He shouldn't actually hurt her. :D

Amy

It was hard to tell as I was very tired but I think he was going for the back of her neck but I didn't give it long enough for any humping to occur.

He is still ignoring her, guess his ego has been damaged somewhat :lol:

Leave them if it starts again. If it is just humping they should be fine as long as she doesn't get pee'd off and have a go at him.

:D I just tempted Kira a little closer to Arnie as he was sat watching her and after a nose rub she began to lick his head and it lasted about 10 mins! :D

When she stopped she put her head down but he didn't lick back, instead he asked for more :D I'm hoping they will be just fine soon.

Back