• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

A Turkey's story

carasblanco

Mama Doe
Almost 3 years ago I had to get a rental, and found one from a lady who owned an estate that had many old homes on her land, owned by her family for many generations, & a couple of the houses had groundskeepers on them who were Mexicans and Dominicans and they kept chickens and turkeys running about freely.
I didn’t know this, and the 2nd day I moved in a white turkey came to my door making honking like sounds and I actually opened the door and let her in and she explored the cottage like a dog, and then I told the landlady about it.
Turk the first day I found her at my gate, having walked inside to the bedroom.
DSCF0361.jpg

Outside the cottage
DSCF0357.jpg

The landlady decided she wanted to save her, and I helped her feed and care for the turkey for over a year and Turk’s home was in her garage.
DSCF0732.jpg

I got to know what a turkey personality was like, which was amazing! She would run to greet me when she saw my car pull up and definitely knew it was mine. She would eat out of my hands and settle down next to me when she was done and lean her body and head against mine-that was the most amazing experience that I will never forget. She would gaze into your eyes and you could play the blink game with her where she would do a slow blink and you would do it back and she would then wait her turn and blink. She also had purring sounds she made as well as distress sounds she made when lonely or hungry. Everyone who came to this lady’s house was mesmerized by the turkey and her grandchildren were thrilled and spent hours running around the property playing with her.
I felt so honored to have this experience, and know that the truth is that all animals, even those who people call stupid, have strong feelings and are deeply sensitive. There are quite a few people who met this turkey who decided to never eat that meat again because of knowing her.

That's amazing, what a wonderful story. Thanks for sharing.

It just goes to show, all animals have personality and feelings and can make a strong bond with humans, no matter how different from ourselves :D

Nice story. I think most people don't realise that even farm stock have personalities if they are allow to express themselves and feel loved.

Back