• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Help! Not got piggies but ended up with a new bun.

flowergirls

Warren Scout
Hi
just YESTERDAY I posted asking for advice about where to get rescue piggies to fill our 'new' donated cage.
However TODAY I got a call from someone who told me that a friend of theirs, whom I was aware of who had bought a PAH rabbit only in the summer couldn't be bothered with her anymore as the kids have lost interest and she was going to take her to the local rescue.
So what did I do- with that empty cage sitting crying out to be filled?
Of course I went round to have a look at her- and of course she is now sitting in that cage in my front room.
She appears to have been very well cared for physically although she is a bit plump (assured she has not been near any males lol), I have never seen such a shiny coat on a bun- she is a black medium sized doe- I don't know my rabbit breeds- will get a pic of her on soon.
She is alot less scatty than my girls- I have 3 bonded does who live outdoors, day time free range- I never pick them up although they allow us to stroke them and they hand feed. She- new girl- has been kept as a house rabbit- and will remain a such at least until the spring- I wouldn't dream of putting her outside at this time of year if she's not used to the cold- and I wouldn't want to push my luck with bonding a 4th doe to the group- i was lucky enough that the bonding of 3 worked.
I don't know if I should keep her really long term- maybe I was a bit impulsive - but I wil certainly be trawling past posts for house rabbit advice.
She's had a little run round the room tonight- is unphased by the 3 cats we have- they are very used to buns and can't be bothered with them at all. She chased them- they ran away- usual cat/bun scenario at my house.
She hopped around quite confidently making a very low humming noise- what does that mean? She quite literally rang rings round me and kept biting- not in an aggressive way- my jeans. ??:?
I will definitely be getting her spayed in January.
Lastly - for now- she has no name! can you believe that?
My buns already are the 'flower' girls- Rose, Bluebell and Daisy, (and Poppy the cat) so we may continue the flower theme- or not. The kids like 'Blackberry'.

Rachel X

Awww - well done for giving this poor nameless girl a home :D The humming and circling and nipping is a hormonal thing, and probably why they wanted rid of her - when all she needs is spaying and a bit of time for her hormones to go down after that :( Be aware they will chew electric wires instinctively though - it's a burrowing instinct where they would just nip through any roots in their way - there's a section on bunnyproofing in the care reference part of the forum. She might also have an instinct to dig, with being hormonal, so may enjoy a big box full of shredded paper or bark chips to dig in, if you can stand the mess :)

Awww - well done for giving this poor nameless girl a home :D The humming and circling and nipping is a hormonal thing, and probably why they wanted rid of her - when all she needs is spaying and a bit of time for her hormones to go down after that :( Be aware they will chew electric wires instinctively though - it's a burrowing instinct where they would just nip through any roots in their way - there's a section on bunnyproofing in the care reference part of the forum. She might also have an instinct to dig, with being hormonal, so may enjoy a big box full of shredded paper or bark chips to dig in, if you can stand the mess :)

Thanks Elve- that's very helpful. I will be asking for more advice I'm sure. :D :)

Aww bless her, looking forward to pics, my black girly has a really shiny coat, she's called Poppy but I also liked the names Lily, Ruby ( she has a reddish tuft on the back of her head) and Ebony (means dark beauty).

Back