• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

New Veg Diet, Advice Please :)

angel_night

Mama Doe
I want to change the buns evening meal to just veg instead of pellets which they get in the morning (hay is on constant supply). I was wondering how much veg I should give them and what veg they can eat exacty, so that they have a variety from day to day. They adore carrots, broccolli, cauliflower and cabbage from past experience, but what else is there?

Any advice much appreciated!

Thanks,

Ruth xx

I give mine a full bowl each.

*Celery
*Spring Greens
*Cabbage
*Sprouts
*Carrot peel/tops
*Cucumber
*Curly kale
*Italian dark and red leaf lettuce mix
*British Round Lettuce
*Spinach
*Parsely
*Basil
*Coriander
*Brocolli
*Cauliflower & Leaves
*Green Beans
*Runner Beans
*Mange tout

I give 3 varieties a day and not the same 3 two days in a row except spring greens which are a good base food.

I dont feed carrots/beans/mange tout more than twice a week and high calcium food more than 3 times a week.

O they're allowed lettuce and cucumber? I didn';t think they were :oops: That's good they do though hehe.

Thanks for the list! JUST what I needed!

Ruth xx

as well as most of sooz's list i give Alvin, watercress, peppers & celery... i shall be trying sprouts next week with the spirit of xmas and all :)

I think it's best to give them an unvarying diet of 3 veg, as variety is likely to cause stomach problems in delicate bunnies. I would also never give veg at bedtime, because if it's not all eaten up, it could wilt during the night and be eaten at some point, causing stomach upset. Best to give pellets and fresh hay in the morning, veg at tea time, and a few pellets at bedtime with more fresh hay I think, removing any uneaten veg - but that's just my way of doing things! :)

They get veg in the evening as that is when they are most active, pellets will keep all day whilst they are dozing as I personally wake up after their 'dawn high'.

I also feed a wide variety so that I dont have to worry about sensitive tummies and can pick up on any problem foods for a particular bunny before rehoming.

Its nice to be able to say 'so and so' likes whatever veg but wont eat whatever or dont feed 'so and so' lettuce as it will give him the squits. This way I dont get panicking owners on the phone after feeding 'so and so' a Christmas brussel sprout and finding it has given him bloat.

Every veg is introduced carefully and yes it is harder work but I am happier knowing if a rabbit is predisposed to developing problems with certain greens so that I can prevent him being fed them in his new home rather than the owners find out by accident.

Just my personal views on my own situation though :D

yeah when I got Tia I was told she wouldn't eat brocolli - She had to change her mind eventually though as there's not much else on the menu here :lol:

Mine love Brussell Sprouts! They have been on offer @ Tesco recently so they have been a favorite, however, slightly too much of a mouthful for my piggies! x

Mine love Brussell Sprouts! They have been on offer @ Tesco recently so they have been a favorite, however, slightly too much of a mouthful for my piggies! x

Wispa wont eat whole sprouts but if i peel off a few layers or cut them in half she scoffs them down!!!!

She also isnt keen on carrots with peel on!!!! anyone else have such a fussy bun??

I feed a variety but am changing to a 3 a day with not much change diet so that im not wasting the veg that i buy. At the moment Wispa gets a staple (spring greens, romaine lettuce or kale) a stick of something (celery or carrot) carrots tops (her fave!!!!) floret of broccoli or 2 sprouts and a bit of apple

When i change i'll probably feed her

Spring Greens - as an everyday staple

celery or carrot or cucumber (so that she doesnt get too much carrot)

sprouts or broccoli

a bit of apple

Hehe thanks :D.

I've been giving them the veg in the evening. They certainly seem to love this new feeding routine lol. They come at me every evening acting like they haven't been fed for days! :lol:

Ruth xx

My buns have always had a good variety of veg, herbs and occasional fruit. They have never had any probs with bloat or anything like that and they have perfect poos!! :lol: They get veg and pellets in morning and same in evening and constant supply of hay. This is the kind of things i feed them:

Cos, Romaine and Lambs Lettuce
Spring Greens
Red Chard, Strawberry leaves
Herbs (sage, thyme, coriander, basil, parsley, mint (small amount)
Watercress
Parsnip, Celery, Carrot (small amounts)
Pea shoots
Rocket, Sprouts and radishes
Kale (very small amount now and again)

Back