• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

cost of keeping a rabbit

buddabun

Warren Veteran
what do you reckon you spend per rabbit per month...? just out of curiosity, you know on hay, food, vet etc...

about £50 a month on hay, feed, toys etc. vets bills make it about £150 or more a month. For two bunnies.

Last edited:
I don't know how much I spend..
The pellets I use cost around 70 NOK or 11 US dollars (What is the short-version of the English currency? With 3 letters? I use my cellphone to change and I just remember I don't know what the currency in UK is:oops:) and I buy one bag every 3-4 weeks.
Hay I get from school, 50 NOK each time, or 7 dollars. I don't know how often I buy, I buy quite a lot, so it lasts for quite some time.
I've only been to the vet with them twice. Once for spaying Zakura (which was btw 1100 NOK or 175 dollars) and once for Sasuke's sore feet (where as the vet charged about 500 NOK or 79 dollars to tell me what medisins to get...then 110 NOK or 17 Dollars to buy the meds:roll: ) We don't need vaccinations in Norway so that's okay:D I'm hoping to get Sasuke neutered next year too, which in my experience is about half the price of spaying a doe.

EDIT: I should probably mention that this is for two rex rabbits (doe and buck) and one dwarf mix (spayed doe)

EDIT2: I figured it out...I think..
Pellets: 6 pounds (5 kgs)
Hay: 4 (a lot)
Spaying: 92
Sasuke's sore paws: about 51

I think...
I really don't have any set amount of money to use every month, as they don't always eat as much hay, and I haven't quite figured out how long one bale lasts:lol:

Last edited:
errrrrrmmmmm

£9.21 petplan
£20 approx hay - meadow & timothy & treat hay, naturals stuff
pellets will work out at about £5 per month ill need to throw half the bag away when it goes off :evil:
£20 approx on veg
litter im not sure as ive opened a bag of megazorb a week ago and it dont seem to be going down

OMG £54 a month just on the necessary not even treats *faints*

will this double when i get Alvins wife :cry:

Hay....about £20
Food..about £20
Vets bills £10 (based mainly on jabs plus a little extra)
Litter £10

So £60 for 4 rabbits (one is foster so no vet bills)

Well for 5 buns £7 a month on A and P pellets £30 Hay £10.00 Straw and about £20 on veg. That is for 5 buns and 2 pigs. Their bedding is free as I get shredded paper from a local office!

£14 pellets
£30 bedding
£80 fresh veggies
On average £400 vets fee's.

So for 21 rabbits (excluding those in foster care) £524.

*and faints*

I think its probably best not to try and work it out, that way I can stay in denial.:D Buying bales of farm meadow hay and bulk bags of food help to keep costs down, but its still not cheap.

I have an account at the Hungry Horse, so that = free! I use my credit card at the vets and the supermarket so that = free!! So for 16 permanent buns and 17 rescues I spend £0 a month!! :D

Bargain - I like my world!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Wow...Seeing other people's bills here makes it feel like I'm using nothing at all:shock:
I'm so happy I live in a Myxi-free country. :D (Now if only people would stay careful about importing Sweedish rabbits... Luckily the rules are very strict, no importing vaccinated buns or buns from areas which recently had an outbreak)

I spend £300 a month on that damn horse at the minute. Never take on an ex race horse Sooz, even though you are saving them from a worse fate... they bleed you dry! And if you had 21 of them... we would be actually dying from shock at the bill! Then I have the buns and the kitties on top! And people wonder why I don't have new clothes! :shock:

for just one month :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

Yup. Though the vets bill is not that high most months but higher on the odd one dependant on what treatment is needed.

Mostly its made up of neuter fees.

i guess you never eat then.... i knew it must be expensive taking on other peoples stupid mistakes.... but OMG thats really bad :(

I have an account at the Hungry Horse, so that = free! I use my credit card at the vets and the supermarket so that = free!! So for 16 permanent buns and 17 rescues I spend £0 a month!! :D

Bargain - I like my world!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Thats my kind of billing! I also find that when leaving the vets with a large bill, if you crumple up the receipt and throw in the bin on your way out, it actually erases the bill altogether....:D I thoroughly reccommend it.

Thats my kind of billing! I also find that when leaving the vets with a large bill, if you crumple up the receipt and throw in the bin on your way out, it actually erases the bill altogether....:D I thoroughly reccommend it.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

I have been filing mine, now I know where I'm going wrong! ;)

Back