• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

VHD jab

susiemae

Mama Doe
Has anyone noticed that their rabbit has been quiet/"under the weather" after having their VHD jab. Domino had his yesterday and has not set foot outside his cage today. He is eating and pooing ok but he's just very quiet and not interested in anything at all today:(

Yes, Evo is. He was really bad this year. :( I think when his next jab comes around, I'm going to ask them for the Lapinject one instead of Cylap.

Yes - both molly and jessica are usually 'under the weather' a day or two after the jab, they just a little bit quiet and tend not to want to do much. I wouldn't worry too much just keep an eye out :D

Oh thanks guys, thats a relief. I hadnt noticed it in Billy and Gizmo when they had their jabs. I was worried Domino had had a reaction to it but if its normal, then I wont worry unduly

Yes Fudge acted really strange after his vhd vaccination, he refused to eat and was very quiet. I was that concerned I phoned the emergency vet but he told me some buns do have a reaction to the vhd ..

vhd jabs

Mmm. the vhd jab is quite a nasty one and we have noticed all these traits with it.

In addittion to this you sometimes get an injection site reaction and a few weeks later you notice often a scaley patch of skin about the size of a 1p where the fur comes out which can be confused with skin mites. We now use lapinject which you can use much younger(about 5-6 wks), is cheaper(about 20% of the cost) and only requires half the amount so is easier for young buns.To date we have had no reactions to report with this new injection.

Just a footnote , anybody administering lapinject or cylap should be well aware of actions required in the event of accidental self injection. Self injection should be avoided at all costs with both types !.

Lola had a very bad reaction to the VHD. the evening of the jab she pulled all the fur out of the injection site and it was bleeding quite a lot. she then went temporarily lame in the front left leg...she was rushed to the vets and i was told it can sometimes happen and given a cream to rub on the furless area. by the next day she was fine but it was scary at the time...i will still be giving her the jab next year when it is due because the consequences of not doing so are so much worse

Back