• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

How do I keep a lonely bun amused?

sandsy1

New Kit
My 3 year old neutered male Alfie lost his Aunty Millie last week. He and she had been happy together for the best part of this year. :)

Before that he had lived - also happily - with his mummy, Bailey, who he had been with since birth. :)

Even though Alf is an independent ish bun I'm nattered at the mo because the new playgirl I have reserved for him to be bonded with isn't available until the new year. So he will be on his own for a few weeks. :cry:

He is acting normal in every way - and munching hay like no-one's business - but he seems 'quiet'. I know he will be missing Millie, even though they didn't spend an awful lot of time together. They had quite a large living area - enough space to ignore each other if they wanted! Alfie lives in our garage, which hasn't had a car in it for ten years! The floor is heavily carpeted, with special 'bunny blankets' on top and he has 2 five foot hutches to hop in and out of should he wish.

Alfie prefers cardboard boxes for his bed and he snoozes in a large TV box. He also has a four foot run available.

I give him loo roll middles and other boxes to chew, but I'm wondering if any of you have any other ideas as to how I can keep him amused until his new lady arrives.

I just don't want him getting bored and listless, leading to him not munching.

Last thing. Just wondering if it will still be a good idea to try and bond him with another bun when he will have spent a few weeks living as a bachelor!! I hope so. :bunny:

Get him a teddy! Lexie has 'Tommy' teddy to keep her company and Maverick has 'Randy' rabbit. They both snuggle up with them and groom them.

My last bunny Caspain also used to erm, take ut his frustrations on 'Randy'.

As long as he and the new doe are a good match personality wise and the bonding is carried out properly then having spent a few weeks alone should not affect the bonding.

Agree with the teddy idea. When Dizzy died we gave Molly a cuddly bunny which she had for a few weeks until Hoops came along. The same cuddly bun kept Hoops company when she was waiting for her husbunny Ant! Seems to work - they even groomed little "Heather"!

Ours was nothing special and neither Mol nor Hoops ever tried to attack it! I'd just keep an eye on the real bun! Hope it cheers him up a bit x

Thanks!!

Hi all. Many thanks for suggestion of the teddy bear to keep Alfie company. I have just popped one in and he has had a sniff and a prod. :D Then he hopped off.....

It's also nice to know that he should be okay to try and bond with "Snowie" in the new year. Can't wait.:)

I've been dying to ask other rabbit mummys and daddys this for ages but never had the chance! Have any of you encountered calcium stones in their rabbits?

Alfie had one removed earlier this year. It was the size of a Cadbury Mini Egg! I'd noticed that when he tried to pee he was straining his back end and making a mewing sound. It would also take him quite a while to actually wee. The end result was the stone. The vet said it was quite unusual to see these in a rabbit. Just wondering if anyone else has had this before?

His diet was questioned and the only source of calcium was a salt lick stone. I stopped giving them immediately. I was also told that Excel would be the best pellet as it has a very low calcium content. I've read on here though that it can give buns the runs due to low fibre content!! But Alf seems ok with it and has no problems in the botty dept!!

Any feedback very welcome!!!!!
Amanda xxxxxxxxxxx

Back