• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

My foster bunny Caramel....is a boy!

Bavarian Bunny

Wise Old Thumper
Last weekend ARC were involved in a big rescue of bunnies and piggies, and I got Caramel to look after. She seems to be quite young, and may be pregnant. She is very pretty and friendly, but very thin. Her poos are very soft, so for now she is on a hay and water diet. She was very thirsty when she arrived here. Jane's foster bunny drank lots, too, so the poor bunnies probably did not have water for days in their previous home. And no proper food, either.
Caramel will stay with ARC for a while, as we have to see if she is pregnant, and then she will get neutered and vaccinated before being rehomed.

cara4.jpg

cara5.jpg

Last edited:
What a gorgeous girlie! She reminds me of my Squishy!!!:D :D I am SO pleased that these buns and piggies got rescued.....what a lovely Christmas prezzie for them!!!:D :D

Omg!! She's Stunning Hun!! A Real Darling!!Give her massive hugs from me!!

Do you know were they were rescued from?? Was it local?

m
xx

Caramel's poos look much better this morning. They are still pale, but there only very few soft and slimy ones. Maybe they are the caecotrophs. Are they always dark or can they be pale or not produced at all, if a bunny doesn't get enough food?

Caramel's poos look much better this morning. They are still pale, but there only very few soft and slimy ones. Maybe they are the caecotrophs. Are they always dark or can they be pale or not produced at all, if a bunny doesn't get enough food?

The caecotrophs can vary from mid-brown to almost black. They are shiney and should look like a small bunch of grapes. Caramel may well be eating all of hers, which is what is meant to happen. As I understand it the Buns were only fed once every 3 days :cry: :evil: so the slime in Caramel's poo may be due to the fact that her guts were often empty :cry:
It sounds as though things are improving in the poo department now though :D

Janex

Every 3 days. :( Wonder how the owner would like that if she only got food twice a week. :evil:

The soft poo looks nothing like normal caecotrophs. Maybe she is eating hers. Cloud produced lots of them when he first arrived here, he had been fed on Junior Excel. I have never seen him eat his caecotrophs. Is that something they learn from their mother or do they know instinctively what to do?

Every 3 days. :( Wonder how the owner would like that if she only got food twice a week. :evil:

The soft poo looks nothing like normal caecotrophs. Maybe she is eating hers. Cloud produced lots of them when he first arrived here, he had been fed on Junior Excel. I have never seen him eat his caecotrophs. Is that something they learn from their mother or do they know instinctively what to do?

I have found that Baby Bucks take longer to get the hang of eating their caecotrophs. Little Bill and John-Boy Boblet did not eat all of theirs till they were about 5 months old. Whereas the girlie Boblets ( RIP :cry: ) ate theirs from the very start.
I seem to remember that Bucks born here in previous litters were also poor caecotroph eaters to start with

Janex

I have found that Baby Bucks take longer to get the hang of eating their caecotrophs. Little Bill and John-Boy Boblet did not eat all of theirs till they were about 5 months old. Whereas the girlie Boblets ( RIP :cry: ) ate theirs from the very start.
I seem to remember that Bucks born here in previous litters were also poor caecotroph eaters to start with

Janex

It was the same with Diggory and his sisters. But then human baby boys often need longer to get rid of their nappies, too. Men!!! :lol:

They have tried to sell me another boy as a girl. :rolleyes: After a good wash of the again very wet and dirty bottom, I took a closer look, and there are definitely two plums and a willy. So I can safely say that Caramel is not pregnant. :D
Not sure how to improve the wet bottom, though. The poos have become slightly harder, but there are still some very soft ones, too. There is a lot of fluff around the bottom, so wee gets soaked up into it. He uses to litter trays for weeing, so he does not sit in the wee, but the fur may be in the way. It is mostly wet, there is no poo stuck to the bottom.

They have tried to sell me another boy as a girl. :rolleyes: After a good wash of the again very wet and dirty bottom, I took a closer look, and there are definitely two plums and a willy. So I can safely say that Caramel is not pregnant. :D
Not sure how to improve the wet bottom, though. The poos have become slightly harder, but there are still some very soft ones, too. There is a lot of fluff around the bottom, so wee gets soaked up into it. He uses to litter trays for weeing, so he does not sit in the wee, but the fur may be in the way. It is mostly wet, there is no poo stuck to the bottom.

LOL too funny, hes a very pretty boy :lol::lol:

He is very pretty! Sudocrem is a good barrier cream which always helped when we had to bathe Cobbles. It might help while his digestion is improving.:D

He is very pretty! Sudocrem is a good barrier cream which always helped when we had to bathe Cobbles. It might help while his digestion is improving.:D

What does Sudocrem do? Is it for rabbits or normally for humans?

Caramel will be called Harry now. :D

Last edited:
I would recommend getting his bum shaved before layering on sudocreme or vaseline.

Both act as a barrier cream to repel liquid but if the fur is already saturated it will probably make matters worth to smother it in cream too and repetitive washing is stressful and has to be done carefully in this weather.

Urine can also rot the fur and of course scold the skin. If the skin is already sore he may need a treatment of corticosteroid cream to reduce the inflammation.

I would recommend getting his bum shaved before layering on sudocreme or vaseline.

Both act as a barrier cream to repel liquid but if the fur is already saturated it will probably make matters worth to smother it in cream too and repetitive washing is stressful and has to be done carefully in this weather.

Urine can also rot the fur and of course scold the skin. If the skin is already sore he may need a treatment of corticosteroid cream to reduce the inflammation.

Oh ok, so it protects the skin from urine burn. Thanks for the info.

Back