• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

New hutch and the newlyweds

Bavarian Bunny

Wise Old Thumper
Last weekend I got my Christmas present, a brand new hutch. My boyfriend painted it for me, and after moving some furniture and boxes out of the way, we managed to carry it through the house into our back garden. It was really heavy, and I am glad I chose the 5 ft version. The 6 ft one would not have fit around the corners and doors in our house.
So here is the hutch, in its winter place:

ryedale3.jpg

I have taken out the ramp for now, and put in the trap door. Janice had Sunnie and Cloud in her lounge for a few days and did the bonding for me. Thanks again for that!! :wave: I did not want to risk any injuries in case Sunnie chases Cloud up and down the steep and narrow ramp, so they are confined to the upper level for now. There has been quite a bit of spraying, pooping and chinning, but things are quiet most of the time. I gave them a snuggle safe for the night, probably the cover will be shredded by tomorrow morning. :rolleyes:

Here's the hutch with the new residents:

ryedale4.jpg

ryedale5.jpg

Awww bless them! Glad its worked out so well for you and your bunny family!!! Their new rabbit residence is fab x:D

Aww lovely hutch and even lovelier residents! I see Janice has worked her magic touch again!:lol: So nice to see them settled together.:D

They look stunning Gisele! The hutch looks fab and the bunnies are just cuties!

You know i have a soft spot for Cloud. TOOOO CUTE!! Will have to pop over again to give them nose rubs after christmas.

m
xx

Sunnie and Cloud shared one food bowl today without any problem. The hutch is a mess, though. Cloud has done quite a bit of spraying since they moved in. He also left some "deposit" on the snuggle safe cover. Men!!!!:rolleyes:

Aww, bless......he was just trying to say, 'I THINK you will find that this is MINE !!!!!:lol: :lol:

They are absolutely LOVELY.....and the hutch is fab!!!!!:D :D

Aww, they look lovely together.

And the hutch looks great...Are you happy with it Gisela?

Amy

I am mostly happy with it, but it has a few minor things that could be done better. I ordered it with bolts instead of the turning knob thingies, and the bolts are very big and strong, but also hard to open and close. I can't open the doors with one hand, which I quite often do. It would be better to have both bolts and the turning thingies.
The floor boards don't go all the way to the walls, there is a tiny gap, probably so that the wood can expand. But you can't get the hay and other stuff out of that gap, and wee runs down from the top to the bottom level (if they miss the litter tray...:rolleyes: ).
The ramp could be a bit wider and the opening for it a bit bigger, especially for bigger bunnies.
Unlike in my other hutches, there is no wood that keeps things from falling out of the hutch. It is easier to brush out everything, but as there is a gap between the door and the floor, quite a lot of hay and poos get chucked out and end up on the ground in front of the hutch.
The bedroom door is quite narrow, I can just about fit a medium sized litter tray through it. The bedroom should be a little bit bigger, in my opinion.

The hutch is sturdier and the wood of better quality than on my other hutches. It hasn't rained since we got the hutch, so I can't comment on how waterproof it is. It looks like it will last longer than my other hutches and I think it is worth the higher price.

Yep I ordered it last week :D Got mine with bolts too so I hope I can open them :shock: :lol:

I think I will put on some turning thingies and only use the bolts when I am out and during the night. The hutch is almost next to my desk, so I can see what's going on.
Did you order the night shutters, too? We are using them on the carpet under our Christmas tree at the moment. :lol: We will work out a different way to cover the hutch at night. For now we use a big piece of cloth and tarpaulin if it rains.

Yep got the night shutters :lol: Do they fit nicely onto the hutch? Sorry I just cant wait to see what its all like :oops: :lol:

Yep got the night shutters :lol: Do they fit nicely onto the hutch? Sorry I just cant wait to see what its all like :oops: :lol:

They do fit nicely, but you have to slide them on from the side, and one of the sides of the hutch is put against the window, so I can't slide anything in from there. My bf took the wooden rails for the shutters off for now. The shutter leave a small gap open on each door, for ventilation. It says on the website that there is enough space for a water bottle underneath, I haven't tried that. You would have to use a small bottle, which is ok for one bunny.

Back