• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

quick bonding questions but long post!!!! can anyone help!?

Beatrix Potter

Mama Doe
Hello :wave:

I have been trying to bond my little wild bunny with her new male friend this week. They have been 'dating' on and off for a while through some mesh one in one room and the other in another. I say on and off as its not been on a permanent basis just a few nights each week.

I am trying to bond them in my understairs cupboard (!) as this is neutral territory for them both. And I'm hoping to leave them in there (plus the porchway) until its warm enough to move Spudsey (wild bun) out as she hasn't got a winter coat.

I've done this for 3 nights now, and only once have I left the room (for about 10 minutes) they seem ok with each other yesterday they got as far as sniffing noses but normally Squirrel trys jumping on spudsey and she runs away by jumping over him! There is no agression or anything like that.

Would I now be ok leaving them together for a while tonight? I've been spending hours in my hall way and got loads of stuff to get on with! :lol: but didn't want to if i still needed to be supervising every minute.

Also a couple more questions....when do I know when they are fully bonded? I'm hoping they will be by saturday as I am taking them to a boarding place for christmas as I have to go wales. If they are not bonded they are going to have to live separately and if they are bonded they will be going into a hutch/run which spudsey lived in on her own only a month ago. will she think of this as her terriotry!? And is it ok to put spudseys things in the room when they are bonded ie her tunnel which she loves or will this not be good either!?

thank you thank you thank you!!!!

Last edited:
It sound like its going ok :D

I personally would supervise tonight and not leave the room :oops: :lol: Buu and Beau were perfect last time I tried to bond them and got on great for 4 days, then had a fight and it just wouldnt stop :shock: Im not trying to scare you and I am sure your buns will get on great but I would rather supervise everything until I was certain :lol: Even when Trip and Scarlett were bonded they went into their hutch and run that night because it was neutral but I sat next to the hutch all day and then spent the whole night with my head out the window watching them with a torch :lol:

Have they actually been together yet without the mesh? Its just they might act differently without anything seperating them :D

It sound like its going ok :D

I personally would supervise tonight and not leave the room :oops: :lol: Buu and Beau were perfect last time I tried to bond them and got on great for 4 days, then had a fight and it just wouldnt stop :shock: Im not trying to scare you and I am sure your buns will get on great but I would rather supervise everything until I was certain :lol: Even when Trip and Scarlett were bonded they went into their hutch and run that night because it was neutral but I sat next to the hutch all day and then spent the whole night with my head out the window watching them with a torch :lol:

Have they actually been together yet without the mesh? Its just they might act differently without anything seperating them :D

Hi!
Yes sorry these last few nights has been without the mesh there is nowt seperating them.

unforutanately it doesn't seem to be going very well now....squirrel spent most of last night really chasing Spudsey and she kept leaping over him to escape or sitting on my lap! And Squirrel grunted in a mood.:(

Have they just got a clear space or are their obstacles? I've found that if you have a few obstacles in the way, it makes it more difficult for them to launch at eachother.

Also, have you tried taking them for a ride in the car together? That can work really well.

Have they just got a clear space or are their obstacles? I've found that if you have a few obstacles in the way, it makes it more difficult for them to launch at eachother.

Also, have you tried taking them for a ride in the car together? That can work really well.

Sorry for the multiple posts! My Internet just went a bit mad.

And I thought you were just being impatient!! :lol: :lol:

Yes there are a few obtacles in the way already, and although I've heard taking them out in the car is a good idea I am currently without one! Not sure whether to try again tonight or what, they are both going to boarding on sunday so may leave it until the friday after christmas when i'm back. got a feeling this bonding thing is going to take a while...

Back