• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Question about bonding

ZakuraRabbit

Mama Doe
I'm not sure if I will do this yet and if I do, it'll probably be a while till I get my buck neutered...but if I did, how long should I wait before trying to bond him to a spayed doe?
There won't be any risks of her getting pregnant, since she's spayed (and she's been "bred" by him several times without as much as a phantom pregnancy:lol: ) but with that out of the way should I wait for his hormones to settle? or just till he gets over the stress of the operation (the buck is 2 years old btw, the doe is 3)

Hmmm many people say 6 weeks after the op. Some say as little as 2 weeks. But I think that depends on the age of neutering. The younger they are when the op is done the less prominant the hormonal behaviour because they have had less tiem to develop this. However the reverse is true too. Having him neutered at 2 yrs means that he will be fully hormonal and may take a bit longer for this to wear off.

You also have the option that your doe may tolerate this hormonal behaviour and you may be able to introduce earlier. But if she does nto or gets fed up and retaliates, you are creating an unneccessary situation which may hinder the bonding process.

Hope that helps a bit :D

Well they have been together before, I sometimes set them loose in the yard together (under close watch mind you), but he humps her all the time. Last time I had to separate them because he started chasing her around:cry: They've never had a fight though...
I'm hoping that neutering will calm down, I would really want a bonded pair of bunnies. :)

I heard 6 weeks too because the male could still impregnate the female a while after neutering...but Zak is unable to get pregnant no matter what:lol:
Age...yeah that could be a bit problematic...Zakura was neutered at two years old and Sasuke will too, (turning two in February, I'm guessing he'll get neutered sometime during the spring.. whenever I can afford it:p But if I was able to find enough money to spay a doe it shouldn't be too hard:lol: Most clinics seem to charge twice the amount of money for a doe than a buck. )

Also is it harder to bond an EX-breeding buck to a doe when both are neutered?

For a completely unrelated question out of pure curiosity: can two X-breeding bucks be bonded (after neutering of course?)?

Last edited:
Hmmm many people say 6 weeks after the op. Some say as little as 2 weeks. But I think that depends on the age of neutering.
Hope that helps a bit :D

Thats the debate for how long after castration can he get a doe pregnant.

It depends on how quickly his hormones settle. I usually find 2 weeks is adequate for him to heal (if there were no complications) and to calm down a little.

A couple of bucks I have had to leave longer because they showed extreme hormonal behaviour.

Thanks everyone:D

Does anyone else have any tips to come with?:wave:
Has anyone tried to bond two rabbits that were neutered rather late?

Thanks everyone:D

Does anyone else have any tips to come with?:wave:
Has anyone tried to bond two rabbits that were neutered rather late?

All the time and as long as they have recovered and their hormones settled its no more (sometimes less) problematic than younger rabbits.

Yeah, I've bonded quite a few rabbits that were spayed/neutered late. Bucks usually like being with a girlfriend, but does can be a bit feisty, even after spaying. :roll:

Good luck

Amy

I very much doubt being x-breeding rabbits will make any difference to the bonding process after neutering - after all every rabbits natural instinct is to mate and at 2years old they are still pretty young, one of the rabbits Amy spoke of was neutered by my vet at 7years old and she is completely loved up now.

Back