• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Are they bonding?

lapin

Young Bun
I’d been thinking about trying to bond my two single rabbits (both neutered males) but was waiting a while, as one of them was only neutered three weeks ago. Yesterday I took them to the vet for their Myxi vaccination and while we were there, one jumped into the other’s carrier. We supervised them and they just sniffed each other. The vet said he’d try bonding them now, as they weren’t showing any signs of aggression.

I took them to my parents’ house and put them in the kitchen. At first they ignored each other, then they sat together and ate hay. After a couple of hours they were snuggled up and grooming each other.

I brought them home at about 4pm and put them in my dog crate, which I’d disinfected, so that it wouldn’t smell of either of them. They got on fine, sitting in the same litter tray, eating hay together and grooming each other.

At 5.30 this morning they woke me up by chasing each other round the crate. They weren’t fighting, there were no injuries, they were just chasing. They’ve been doing it on and off ever since but in between, they still sit in the same tray and eat hay together. When they see me approaching the crate, they stop chasing and both rush to the door to see me.

I couldn’t believe how uneventful it had been yesterday, now I’m getting nervous! Are they bonding? When will the chasing stop? Should I just let them get on with it, or interrupt them?

Sounds like they're doing just great! Well done!
Two of mine still chase each other at food time. Yours are probably still trying to sort out who's boss.

Back