• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

"Snuffles"

foxyfaerie

Mama Doe
So last weekend there was a gorgeous lionhead in P@H; O/H said I could have him so I got a member of staff who after *trying* to sex him (and failing & assuming it's a buck) said he was breathing "funny" :shock:
It was maybe a little heavy, but I had to be almost right up to him to hear it, nothing I'd be worried about in my own two - although it's how Lucifer started before she started squeaking (it cleared up after a course of Baytril).

Anyways, she quarantined him & I left my name & number to reserve him. I called up yesterday to see how he was doing & was told he "has snuffles" and "it might be a while until he's better". This had me a bit dumbfounded & I couldn't ask any more questions. I couldn't remember 100% but I was sure pasturella-snuffles (as opposed to cold/squeak-snuffles) showed fairly obvious symptoms. Long story short I get home & look it up, symptoms being: -
*heavy cold
*discharge from the eyes & nose
*matted fur on the insides of the forearms (from wiping it's nose)
*possible head tilt

The rabbit had none of these; so I have two questions: -
1) Has anyone else ever got/heard of pasturella-snuffles being mis-diagnosed at P@H
2) If it *is* pasturella would I be endangering Lucifer & Nyx in bringing this rabbit home?

And yes...I realise I shouldn't set foot in these places...:roll: :lol:

Under normal circumstances i'd say keep well away from p@H - they are renowned for having poorly buns - its just a good job you noticed this poor buns breathing before they passed him/her onto you and left you to deal with it! :evil:

BUT...and a big but, i'd say if you can, have this bunny - you sound like a very responsible and caring owner and he/she would certainly be better off with you than with anyone else such as a child who would stick it in a hutch at the bottom of the garden :(

I'm going through something similar with my bun Fae at the moment - she is slightly wheezy and sneezes an awful lot. She has no discharge or anything so the vets have ruled out snuffles and said it could be a respiratory infection. she is now on a course of Baytril but he has said that this may never go.

It could also be an allergy - i'm not sure what to yet but i am trying to rule all things out that could cause it such as dusty hay, cleaning products etc..

She lives with Miloe and he is absolutely fine (touch wood), so if it isnt snuffles i dont see why this bun couldnt live with yours?

regarding buns being snuffly..some do not adjust to living indoors...and moving them out..when the weather picks up of course to get them used to it...can stop their symptoms

My Dermot might have had Pasteurellosis, the lab results are yet to confirm this and if he did, he never showed any signs.

m
xx

Under normal circumstances i'd say keep well away from p@H - they are renowned for having poorly buns - its just a good job you noticed this poor buns breathing before they passed him/her onto you and left you to deal with it! :evil:

I know; but that's why I have a doe with a cataract & a buck who's a scared-y bun when it comes to being stroked etc (although is getting better). It (unfortunately) is lack of choice where I live; the nearest P@H is over an hour away; and is the closest place that you can get rabbits; the nearest rescues are on the other side of the country :roll:

BUT...and a big but, i'd say if you can, have this bunny - you sound like a very responsible and caring owner and he/she would certainly be better off with you than with anyone else such as a child who would stick it in a hutch at the bottom of the garden :(

:oops: Thank you

o if it isnt snuffles i dont see why this bun couldnt live with yours?

That's good news! I think we'll be back again tomorrow (the new bunny ka-bob has gone down well - I want another!) so I'll speak to someone then & see what they say.

if you have any buns stay away from snuffles its very highly contagous and there is no cure for it they will always carry it and as soon as thier alittle down in the immune system it will flair up again and could be passed to your little buns i would say steer clear of it, its not worth the risk to the others!

Back