• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rabbit

sarah07

New Kit
I've always wanted a rabbit since i was little i've read loads about them and everything else. I'm at college doing First diploma animal care so i am quite knowledgable on the whole animal side of things.

So i was wondering what's it like having a rabbit i thought id join and ask you all first hand. I have 5 guinea pigs and wonderd if the yare alike in anyways? Are they expensive to keep? Should i get them vaccinated/neutered?

There great animals im mad on them with five at moment:lol: They deffo need vaccs and to be done ,Myximatosis is done every 6 months and vhd is yearly and they are roughly £15/£20 for each one,rick:D

Yes, they need vaccinating neutering. In some ways rabbits and guinea pigs are similar and in other ways very different. Rabbits are social like guinea pigs so two are better than one. They need more space and stimulation, I think guinea pigs are better behaved :lol:

They can be very expensive if they get sick - the vets bills are similar to a cat e.g. an emergency appointment is usually around £100! Something simple like treatment for an eye infection would be about £30-40. Vaccinations are about £45 per year.

Some books can be quite outdated so I recommend the Rabbit Welfare Association as a good source of up to date reliable info: http://www.rabbitwelfare.co.uk/rwf/information.htm

Tam

Yeh!
I was going to give them vaccinations of course just meant like when and what for. I was thinking about starting with a small bun seens as im a beginner kinda i handle them at college etc, so i thought maybe a dwarf type.

Where do you thinks best to keep them i wasgoing to get a hutch outdoor to go alongside my guinea shed. And i was thinking about getting a male but i know guineas and rabbits can go in the run together but no be caged would he try to mate with my female pigs at all?

Yeh!
I was going to give them vaccinations of course just meant like when and what for. I was thinking about starting with a small bun seens as im a beginner kinda i handle them at college etc, so i thought maybe a dwarf type.

Where do you thinks best to keep them i wasgoing to get a hutch outdoor to go alongside my guinea shed. And i was thinking about getting a male but i know guineas and rabbits can go in the run together but no be caged would he try to mate with my female pigs at all?

Yeh!

Please dont house rabbits and guineapigs together - they can be injured and also they eat different foods.

It doesnt really matter what sex you start with but buns live better in pairs so why dont you adopt from a local rescue centre or the RSPCA? :D That way you have 2 healthy buns, both neutered and vaccinated?

they are more expensive in money and time than i expected when i first got them but also far more rewarding - they really do have lovely characters. :love: a pair is the best plan especially if theyre going to live outdoors because they are social animals which need company to be happy - but you could also consider having a houserabbit as they make great indoor pets. i'd invest in a decent book to get to grips with the basics.

they are more expensive in money and time than i expected when i first got them but also far more rewarding

Completely agree :thumb: I didn't really do the right sums when I was looking into rabbits.

I think I spend £350 a year on my single house bun. The first year is much dearer because of neutering and set-up costs.

Myxi and VHD vaccinations are essential but costs for these can vary greatly from vet to vet. My vets are quite expensive at £22.50 per vaccination:shock: :D

if you have a shed for your piggies, have you got space for a bunny shed? i have a hutch with a run under which is ok for smaller breeds. i don't know whether smaller breeds are necessarily easier to handle, it can all depend on the character of the individual rabbit and its surprising how much of a personality they all have. i've only had my rescue buns 2 weeks, but already we are learning about their individualities and as they have been in rescue since they were babies they have been well handled and are very friendly.

it was quite a big descision to get rabbits and we've been planning it for a year (almost as bad as planning for children :lol: ), but as we have recently got married it prevented us rushing into it and made sure we planned carefully.

its cost us about £300 to get set up and get the buns, but already its so enjoyable having them. having pets already, you obviously understand this. i can't wait for the summer so i can spend more time with them in the garden.

good luck to you and please consider rescuing! your local rescue should also be able to offer advice on setting up etc. :wave:

mini lops are quite affectionate for small breeds and have alot of character!:D after my Dwarf lop was taken by a fox i swore id never get another lop but in the end i got 2 mini lops i did resist for along time though but i lost the fight in the end i got
Unisis my opal mini lop doe
rabbit038.jpg

and Nimbus my blue mini lop buck
Rabbits049.jpg

defently get a buck they are way less tempermental and much more chilled
i have to say i do perfer the big breeds though:D

They're great. They can wreck your nerves with their antics and their health worries, but they are lots of fun. They are very sociable though and its recommended they're kept in pairs for company. You can get already bonded and neutered pairs from rescues to save you the trouble too. :-D

Elliott004.jpg

Elliott001.jpg

:wave: I adopted a lop dwarf rabbit,Elliott (even though he is quite big lol) he is 8 months old. He is golden and grey mixed colour he has a very good temprement.

I adopted him off a lady who got flooded and had no more room for him. He is an indoor rabbit so im going to keep it that way for him. He has a big nero cage and free run of my room under supervision of course and all hazard free!

He does spray i was weighing up the options if to have him neuterd cause of the possibility of death. Id rather put up with abit of spraying.

Ill try and put some photos up.

P.s - I can't remeber who it was but i wouldnt house buns and pigs together, i meant can't they go together in the run?

Last edited:
Back