• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Biting

mrs munkee

Mama Doe
We have had cadbury and minstrel for about a week and a half. Cadbury loves to be petted and comes running over for attention. I have had no trouble picking him up, but yesterday he did not want to be picked up at all. He was quite happy with stroking but no cuddles. Anyway I went out to see them today and Cadbury came running up for attention. I was giving him a fuss then he started to chew my jacket, then he takes a sniff at my hand and nipped me. A few minutes later he done it again and actually tried to get hold of my little finger with his teeth :shock: . It wasn't done aggressively, but I just thought it was odd as he hasn't done it before, but coupled with his seeming moodiness i just wondered if you've any advice? btw he has been neutered.

Thanks

Could your hand/jacket have smelled of another animal? That can sometimes make them nervous or act differently.

Did it hurt? Buster has only aggressively bitten me once but he will nibble me when I fuss him and stop and he tugs at my hair and digs for attention. He may be giving love bites :D

Alvin bites me ankle if im taking too long to get his veg ready... maybe he wanted more and more fuss??

Tonight, Oreo ran towards me , and started tugging on my jeans. I say "Hey!" loudly and he stopped. If I'm in his way, he'll chew my shirt and be nipping my skin too! I know he doesn't mean to hurt me.

Could you have smelt of food? Millie gets carried away when theres food around and sometimes will take a bite of a finger without realising its not food. As soon as she does it she knows its wrong and will actually back away alost saying 'sorry mum I really didn't mean it!'.

mine will take a bite out of my hand if there is any smell of food on it & Rosie seems to think that my fingers are carrots, even when freshly washed...but it is harmless nibbling. You could try sreiking really loudly next time he nips you so he knows he's hurt you.

thanks guys. it probably is food related and he is the biggest attention seeker :roll: i don't think he has an aggressive bone in his body, but we're still new to each other and its gonna take time to learn from each other

Back