• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Dermot is Going For His Tests Now- U/D Pyloric Stenosis :-(

Jack's-Jane

Wise Old Thumper
Please wish him luck

Picture1425.jpg

Janex

Last edited:
Christobel examined Dermot thoroughly and has detected an abnormal thickening around the Pylorus :cry:
She does not think blood tests would tell us anything helpful and that realistically there is no treatment for Pyloric Stenosis in Rabbits :cry:
So I am to continue treating Dermot's 'GI Episodes' as before. Obviously there may well come a time when the stenosis completely closes off the stomach and I will have to let Dermot go :cry:

So its just 'wait and see' now................

Janex

OMG Jane, not another one - how terrible.:cry: :cry: :cry: How sad for Dermot.....and for you as well, especially after going through this with the Boblets.:cry: :cry: :cry: ::HUGE hugs:: xxx

Gentle cuddles and nose rubs to Dermot. xxx

Thank you everyone
I was expecting this but its still :cry: :cry:
Dermot is only about 2 years old :cry: :cry:

Janex

Is there an age where its more likely to strike? I am assuming Dermots would fall into the secondary category?

Caspian was only 18 months. :(

Im so sorry, I feel awful for you :( :( :(

I often wonder if mine have this. Daily Metacam (now plus Zantac) helps whatever they have.

How come so many rabbits are suddenly developing this recently when it's been barely heard of til now? :?

Not many vets know how to diagnose it and many others dont understand its causes or even that it occurs in rabbits... they pass it off as something else ;) I only found out the other day that whilst rare in its genetic primary variety, it is common as a secondary effect in rabbits who have had GI Stasis.

My source for this is a friend studying at Bristol Vets School. She is looking for some papers to send me.

Last edited:
Don't know if you've tried this, Jane, but I've found that feeding mine very little at a time (with at least an hour's break) helps their digestive systems cope better. They get no more than 3 SS pellets at a time.

Don't know if you've tried this, Jane, but I've found that feeding mine very little at a time (with at least an hour's break) helps their digestive systems cope better. They get no more than 3 SS pellets at a time.

That would tie in with PS...

Back