• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Very dirty rabbit!

Kelsey

New Kit
I have a 2 year old female rabbit...I dont know her breed because she was given to me but she's big (7lbs) Anyways...She's the first female rabbit I have owned and she is very dirty. She wont clean her own bum and constantly has poops stuck in the fur. I clean them out daily but it does get a little annoying...She smells constantly and she's making my house smell too, no matter how often I clean her out. Im wondering if its just a female thing or is she just lazy? Is there anything I can do to get her to clean herself?

If you clean her up thoroughly with cornflour that can help them to keep themselves clean afterwards - just rub the cornflour (for cooking - dry) into her fur and the dirt will slide off.

Then you need to tackle why she's doing it - usually caused by either being too fat to reach around to eat the poops, and by the wrong diet - too much pellets, sometimes excel pellets of any amount, too much carrot and dried grass, and not enough hay. What exactly is she eating daily at the moment?

Totally agree with what elve is saying. This is actually an easy problem to resolve and will make you bun sweeter smelling and easier to care for. Clean her then find the cause.

Overweight or arthritic rabbits are unable to clean themselves, this can be resolved with overwieght rabbits by cutting down on their pellets or rabbit mix and feeding a greater volume of hay. Hay shold amount to about 80% of the food they are fed. Weight loss needs to be slow and progressive not fast otherwise liver problems can develop, so dont just cut out the dry food.

The volume of dry food can play a part in developing dirty bottoms, all rabbits should be fed approximately 25g per kg of rabbit. If your rabbit is 7lbs then a maximum of apprroximately 80g of dried food a day ... no more, ideally less.

The type of food also plays a part with the lower fibre foods being the most likely cause of problems. Many mixes are around 10% or less fibre, Excel is approximately 14%. Change to a higher fibre food such as Science selective, Bunny basics T from Oxbow or even the HiFi food which is sold by an on line company called Bunny Basics. Food needs to be changed over a 10 days period with slow changes in amount, it is easiest if they only get the correct amount for their weight first.

As a rescue we get many rabbits in who have dirty bottoms, I wouldnt be surprised if this is often the sole reason for handing them over. They are always on a mix or excel and usually get far more than the recomended amount a day. Cutting them back on amount and also moving them onto a different food ALWAYS seems to resolve the problem.

Back