• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Nerve damage

Pink Badger

Warren Scout
Has anyone had any experience of possible spinal/leg nerve damage in a bunny?
My friend’s rabbit was attacked a few nights ago and it has left him with little use of his front legs.
One leg is quite weak and he can’t move the other at all.
The vet has treated his cuts and wants to wait a while to see if he recovers any movement. He’s on anti inflammatories and doesn’t seem to be in pain.
The vet originally considered amputating his leg but the other leg isn’t strong enough to support him. If he doesn’t recover it seems he will have to be put to sleep.:cry:

I only have experience of back leg weakness due to spinal injury with very limited back leg movement. The rabbit in question was put on dexamethasone injections on a weekly basis, after the second week there was a little improvement after 3 weeks there was a dramatic recovery. They were also given metacam, I syringe fed them to top them up, kept them in an enclosed area to prevent any secondary injuries and also kept their rear end clean as they were unable to keep this clean themselves due to total inability to balance.

With unequal weakness in the front legs I would be concerned about the long term outcome, I would give this a week or two and then with the guidance of the vet make a decision about where this poor rabbit is going. For the time being this rabbit needs to be kept in an confinded enclosed area indoors, kept warm. They need to monitor and support its intake and also output. Ensuring that they are able to keep their rear end clean and dry and that they are not left sitting in their excreta. A course of probiotics may be useful as the gut will be under undue stress.

I have given her an indoor cage for him and some vet bed. He is eating drinking and pooping at the momment. I afraid I don't know what medication he has received other than he's had pain killers and anti inflammatories. They obviously care about him and I'm sure they are keeping a close eye on him.

I presume the hope is it's some kind of nerve bruising rather than permanant damage. He seemed comfortable when I saw him on monday and was even able to move around alittle.
I too fear the outcome for him isn't great, but stranger things have happened.

Please send him some healing vibes for this lovely boy.

Back