• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

help - bald patches either side of his tail?

Hi, we were brushing Busby tonight as he started moulting quite heavily today and we discovered two quite large bald patches on either side of his tail that weren't there a week ago.

The skin doesn't look sore, there's a small patch that looks a little dry but there are no scabs or sign of irritation or mites. We have been watching him and he hasn't been scratching at all.

It looks a bit like he's been over-grooming it and pulling the fur out, but he's not known for his cleanliness and it seems unlike him to groom his bum end at all, let alone to over-groom it! :oops:

Does anyone have any ideas of what this might be and if we need to rush him to the vet tomorrow?

I've attached a picture, please ignore the yucky feet!

bumIMG_1198-02.jpg

Thank you so much, any ideas would be greatly appreciated!

Cara and Busby, xxx

hiya, he's about 2-3 years old (he was a rescue rabbit so we don't know exactly!) and he had his 'boy bits' snipped off about 18 months ago!

The bald patches are a bit lower down than the bald bits where his 'bits' used to be!

Umm, it's odd that it's even on both sides. Could it be the 'sacks' left over from his neutering?

He looks a little untidy down there, does he have problems keeping himself clean? Sometimes is they get a mucky/wet bum that can lead to bare patches.

I wouldn't say it's an emergency but if it's a new development it would be a good idea to have a once over at the vet.

the bald patches are definitely not related to his (ex)testicles, he does have small bald patches where they were but they're quite a bit higher up. You can see these new patches from behind when he's just sitting.

He is a bit messy down there and we wash him once a week to keep him clean. It's mostly because he has extremely fluffy fluff round his bum.

I know his right hock looks a bit funny in the photo but it's just the photo, I think it's the light because his feet are fine in the flesh!

Thanks for your suggestions, we'll call the vet tomorrow!

That's strange, I've never seen anything like that if it's not testicles. Good luck at the vets, hope you figure out what's wrong. :D I think he should be able to clean himself as he looks like he's got short/normal fur but maybe he's got something wrong with his teeth or spine?

It could well be related to his mucky bum. Where rabbit wee, if they have a mucky bum or don't lift their tail properly it can cause urine to run over the fur. That irritates the skin causing fur loss. If it continues the skin can become sore and ulcered. The issue can also be caused by bladder infection - which is more common in buns with mucky bums as well, so it might be worth mentioning that to your vet.

What's his diet? Often changing what a rabbit eats or how it eats can solve bum issues. Fluffy fur can exacerbate the issue as it's harder to clean but it shouldn't cause it :)

Tamsin

Molly had something similar to this .. tho it was more a wet in between her legs nearer her bum end with clumpy fur (may have been a little fur loss cant remember exactly now, looks bald when its wet anyway !!) The skin I coudl see was looking sore .... she didnt loose litter training but she didnt seem to be able to wee so 'cleanly'

She had a bladder infection and needed antibiotics. Meanwhile I kept washing her bum (which she hated) to reduce any urine burn. Think it took 2 weeks to clear up but was treatable.

Would be worth askign your vet about it tho.. see what they can do. May be worth putting some cream on (not sure what!! there are some threads with info on creams on here if you do a search) to soothe the area too. She was also spayed once she was well again and they clipped the matted fur. Woudlnt suggest that until all sorted tho cos the fur will provide some protection against the urine (tho if left it will hold it too :? )

I also found bunny wet wipes (or unsented baby ones) were helpful to just clean the bare skin too esp instead of washing frequently cos its quite stressful over a period of time.

Back