• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Inky's bruised paw- back from the vets, again!

FriskyClover

Warren Veteran
Following on from my earlier thread: http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?t=111174 , I wonder if anyone has any idea how long it should take for a bruised paw to heal?

Inky hurt his paw, probably Saturday night/very early Sunday and he is still holding it up when he is just standing. It doesn't seem especially sore to touch and he was resting it on the side of the playhouse tonight but there doesn't seem to be a big improvement.

Am I just being too optimistic? The vet thought he may have stood on something sharp and that bruised it, perhaps that would take a little while to stop feeling sore. I thought if it wasn't a lot better by the weekend, I'd take him back to the vets. I did wonder if it could be VHD related but he had his vaccination about 3 weeks ago, so I don't think that could be it.

He is eating fine and washing himself and Smokey.

Thanks in advance

FC xx

Last edited:
I'm sure I've heard on here that a few rabbits have limped after a VHD jab but I'm not sure if it would be three weeks after.
Otherwise if he's still limping I'd be tempted to take him back in a couple of days.

Just to update, Inky is still limping. He seems to be able to put his paw down to hop but still holds it up when he sits still.

I've taken the shelf out of the playhouse, so he doesn't have to jump up and they have a heatpad in there.

I just don't know what else to do with him. I'm going to take him back to the vets tomorrow, what else could it be? I would be surprised if it's broken because the paw/leg is not deformed. It doesn't seem to hurt because when he had a painkiller from the vet, he still didn't put it down. Could it be a tendon/ligament?

I took Inky back to the vets at 10.50am today. The vet checked his paw again said that although it's swollen, she couldn't find anything wrong, like a punture wound. He's been given some antibiotics and a pain-killing injection, just in case it's a slightly infected wound. He's got such fluffy feet, it's hard to see.

One of mine went through a stage very similar, he'd hop around fine but would hold his paw up when ever he stopped. The vet said he must a given it a sprain or twist he was fine after 2 weeks.

Back