• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

What to use as bedding in the hutch? PICS!!

LionheadLuver

Warren Veteran
Hi
I have realised that the girls like pooing and weeing on hay and straw, so what I have done this evening, is put shredded paper over the whole of the hutch, except their litter tray, which is full of hay and straw, and their bedroom, which has straw and hay for warmth and shredded paper on top. I was thinking if I should put Megazorb over the floor of the hutch, because they usually try to avoid pooing and peeing on it at all costs, and put two litter trays full of hay and straw in the hutch. What can I do for warmth in the bedroom area, instead of hay and straw? I'm putting vineger over the hutch this weekend to get rid of stains and smells, so going to try litter training for that point onwards. What do you think of all my ideas?

I just have newspaper on the floor and hay in their litter tray. In the bedroom area they have fleece/vet bed and a Snuggle safe.

Rabswood

Is a vetbed warm enough in this weather? Is paper good for the girls' hocks? Or is it good to have megazorb on the floor?

Last edited:
I was thinking to put hay and straw on the edges of the bedroom, to trap heat, and then heaps of shredded paper in the centre for them to snuggle into. And vetbed below all of this. What do you think? The paper in the living area went well and they ate the hay in the litter tray.

I put layers of newspaper on the bottom of the hutch, and top it with hay for warmth! In the litter tray I put megazorb in it and them hay on top! The littler tray gets cleaned out every 1 or 2 days. I am fortuante that neither of my rabbits used their hutch to "toilet" in, so I used to just refresh the bedding in the hutch once a week (perhaps it should be done more frequently), topping it up with hay if necessary inbetween!

I buy hay in large bales from the horse suppliers so it deosn't work out expensive at all, £3.80 per bale which lasted about 5 weeks with 2 5-6foot hutches!

Hannah

I've been struggling with litter training Poppy so working on the idea that rabbits go to the toilet where they eat I have put a litter tray full of megazorb in each 'bedroom' and wall mounted hay racks next to them. I've put a small litter tray where Poppy like to pee in the main section that has megazorb in it and then vetbed and a snugglesafe on the rest of the floor. They sleep in the middle section where the vetbed is so I have a couple of blankets over that part to keep the wind and rain out.

I buy hay in large bales from the horse suppliers so it deosn't work out expensive at all, £3.80 per bale which lasted about 5 weeks with 2 5-6foot hutches!

I've always bought pre packed hay but this would be much cheaper! Is it very dusty?
The paper issue....if they're not in a draught I'm sure the paper will trap the heat like hay or straw....Although when I use shredded paper mine eat loads of it, I thought they just chewed it and dropped it but when I watched more closely they didn't drop any!!

What I've done is put vetbed, hay/straw around edges and shredded paper in the centre of their bedroom area. And in their living area, I've put down newspaper and megazorb and two trays of hay. This sound good???? Here are some pictures:

One of the trays + the bedroom:
6ps5ze1.jpg

One of the trays with hay:
80z9or7.jpg

Bedroom (straw/hay around edge, and paper in centre):
6q1kwa1.jpg

The other tray with hay:
85lljyc.jpg

I gave them a cardboard box this morning with hay inside, and they loved it:
6ykpreo.jpg

Milly drinks from the water bottle:
8a5k5ue.jpg

FIGHT over who gets to drink from the bottle:
7xm8294.jpg

Molly wins:
6ofwlnd.jpg

Cute Photos. I just use loads of hay (fill the entire hutch top to bottom), with lots of newspaper underneath. I dont particularly care where they toilet, Just clean it every few days/twice a week approx & its never dirty or anything, the wee just seems to soak to the bottom. Rather they were warm enough than bother about litter training tbh :rolleyes: :lol: X

I was thinking whether to leave the megazorb and trays in the living area because that doesn't need to be warm, but in the bedroom, change it back to how it was before, with heaps of hay and straw. Do you think this is better? Also, is megazorb ok for rexes' hocks?

Back