• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

To get or not to get? (When not to get keeps becoming a smaller and smaller option!)

mezrie

Warren Scout
Dear all,

You've been ever so helpful to me in the past with my two rabbits Rosie and Blue. With your help and advice they seem to be a lot happier and i feel happy to have them again:)

From my many evenings browsing this forum i notice a few of you keep indoor guinea pigs? I'm now wondering what the possibility is of me being able to be a proud owner of a guinea pig or two again. I've had experience of keeping guineas before but they were largely kept outside. Could you give me some pointers on what i shall need, where you have yours situated in your house, how many, home requirements or examples for them. I get butterflys everytime i think about the prospect of having them. I've even gone so far as to look for rescue places around Lincolnshire but as yet have not had any luck. If any one knows of any around Lincoln i would be very grateful!

Love and hugs!

Mez x

My guineas (I have 3 girls) live in a large, indoor rabbit cage in our lounge. Their requirements are somewhat similar to bunnies - hay, hay and lots of HAY! They like their veg too and enjoy social interaction with one another (and us!). They can be noisy little critters and wee and poo for England so need frequent cleaning out! They don't need vaccinating like bunnies do but aren't without their health probs. Having said that, I love having mine :D

I love having my guinea pigs however I would never have them indoors, as they are just too smelly, and im extra fussy about my house:lol: :lol: mine live in our insulated shed in a large hutch, I still clean them everyday because they wee and poo for England. I know alot of people do keep them indoors and like I said it's just my opinion that I wouldn't want them in my house. I love going outside to the shed and watching them they are really lovely animals. A real joy to have. Good luck in finding some:D and plenty of pictures when you do.
Sallyx

We have three but one of them doesn't like the other two so we have had to seperate. Mog and Wicket live in the living room in the big nero cage and Wombwell has a slightly smaller cage and currently lives in the hall way whilst we are redecorating.

They are very noisey especially when they hear the fridge door open or if i'm chopping up veg etc.

The nice thing abt having them inside is being able to watch their antics! My lot have just realised that I'm eating an apple and have gone loony, squeaking like mad and running all over the place! I have, of course, given them a bit :D

Superb, thank you very much for all your kind advice and help and comments.

55 miles is a bit of a way, but i possible i suppose! Can you post them! lol! x

Superb, thank you very much for all your kind advice and help and comments.

55 miles is a bit of a way, but i possible i suppose! Can you post them! lol! x

I adopted a hamster from Norfolk or was it Norwich :oops: :oops: a few weeks ago, someone kindly helped with a 'rodent run'...... 55 miles isnt that far really, and theres always someone kind enough to help out, so dont let that put you off.:D

Last edited:
Here, here! Bunny runs are often far longer than Lincoln to Leicester. And it's only an hour if you decide to do it yourself :D
We went to Honeybunnies from Birmingham to get Ant. That must be a similar distance, but was WELL worth it!

Really, someone gave it a lift? Thats really nice of them! x

Well kind of, Kirsty adopted one herself and also collected my hamster, some spiny mice and some rats .... it really was a rodent run!

you may have noticed I edited my location.... 4 hours sleep has ruined my geography!... but I think it's even further than Lincoln.

:) I shall definately ask my bf if he'd be kind enough to help me get over there or whatever! Are you in a built up location? Like the middle of Leicester? And yes, have you many guineas that need homes at the moment? x

Jill is on the outskirts of Leicester, but she has foster buns and pigs in various locations....do give her pm and see what piggies she has waiting for homes, she definately has some.:wave:

Back