• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Poor Fae

Miloe's_Mum

Alpha Buck
Went back to the vets last night for her sneezing - she's now on a course of Baytril.

The vets took her temp and she cried so much :( :( :( Then she did a bloody poop on the table :(

We then had to weigh her and she cried even more!

Poor thing - she went into hiding when we got home but she seems fine now. I have to syringe feed her the baytril - whats the best way of doing this bearing in mind she hates being picked up!? :?

Miloe certainly cheered the situation up at the vets though - he was sat in the carrier when he let out such a loud trump! :oops: :oops: :lol:

The vet looked at him in disgust!! :lol:

Does she like to be hand fed Rachel? I'd mash up a carrot or a berry, mix the baytril in with it and make her her own little sushi roll by wrapping it in a small green leaf and offer it to her by hand.
Poor Fae - get well soon
*Makes mental note - buy gas mask for when Miloe comes to stay:lol:

Poor thing - she went into hiding when we got home but she seems fine now. I have to syringe feed her the baytril - whats the best way of doing this bearing in mind she hates being picked up!? :?

Sorry to hear that :( did the vet confirm it as Pasteurella? When our little one had a bout of the sneezes and was given the Baytril & syringe we held her like a baby whilst my other half handled the syringe (straight into the side of the mouth and a quick spurt). It's definatley easier if two people are involved. If she doesn't like to be picked up then can I suggest kneeling on the floor with bun between legs, hold the bun just under the two front legs to steady and then feed the syringe from the side.
If you're not happy with the "straight from the syringe" technique then holidayhutches idea is probably best. Whatever you do, don't put it in their drinking water, Baytril is really bitter and your bun probably won't drink the water after the first taste.
Anyway i'm sure she'll be better in no time at all...ours had confirmed pasteurella, 2 weeks on baytril from the syringe and she was fine, she's not had a re-occurence either in the last year so things are looking good!

:shock:

I assume the Vet made sure there was no rectal damage :?

Poor Fae :cry:

Janex

He did Jane - i gave him the 3rd degree this time and made sure everything was checked properly. Thisvet was the other partner of the vets and he was very good - he also apologised for the way the other vet had handled our case last week - the anitbiotic they were both given was a 'long lasting antibiotic' that works for 48 hrs. But he did agree she should have been given a course of Baytril at the time.

The Baytril i have is in liquid form so i'm not sure how to hide that in other food - would it just be best to hold her firmly on the floor, not pick her up and just squirt it directly into the side of her mouth?

Buttons has just finished a 2 week course of Baytril. She hates the stuff. I tried wrapping her up in a towel tightly and squirting it into her mouth but she was having none of it.

The only way I found that I could give it to her was to cut up little bits of apple or cut a grape in half and squirt a little bit of Baytril into it until the dose had gone.

We mixed the baytril with fruit juice and then wrapped Ant in a towel and syringed it into his mouth. The juice made it more palatable ... but he soon worked out what the towel meant and ran away!

Sorry to hear that :( did the vet confirm it as Pasteurella? When our little one had a bout of the sneezes and was given the Baytril & syringe we held her like a baby whilst my other half handled the syringe (straight into the side of the mouth and a quick spurt). It's definatley easier if two people are involved. If she doesn't like to be picked up then can I suggest kneeling on the floor with bun between legs, hold the bun just under the two front legs to steady and then feed the syringe from the side.
If you're not happy with the "straight from the syringe" technique then holidayhutches idea is probably best. Whatever you do, don't put it in their drinking water, Baytril is really bitter and your bun probably won't drink the water after the first taste.
Anyway i'm sure she'll be better in no time at all...ours had confirmed pasteurella, 2 weeks on baytril from the syringe and she was fine, she's not had a re-occurence either in the last year so things are looking good!

Thank you for this info. He thinks it could be a respiratory infection although her chest it still clear and she is very well in herself. She has no discharge from her eyes or nose but her sneezing is quite bad. He's only given her a weeks course of baytril though as he thinks it will clear up after a couple of days.

I'll syringe it directly into her mouth as she's not daft, if i put it anywhere else she wont touch it! :?

I put my baytrill on a piece of bread and let it soak for a bit.....sooty didn't seem to mind the bitter taste....but mixing it with some pineapple or apple juice might make it better.

Awww sending a snuggle to little Fae,

Just a thought re something you could have a think about in conjunction to the exploratory stuff your Vet is doing.

I had a similar thing with Cagney a month or so ago, her sneezing got so bad that she wouldn't go in her hay box to eat as she just started sneezing all the time.

Now she has had the same litter, hay, I use the same low odour disinfectant for trays that I always did - so I was at a loss at what was causing the problem and suspected Bacterial infection.

My Vet suggested that she may have contracted an Allergy to something - I was somewhat doubting I've gotta say but decided to go right back to basics -

I got two new trays to ensure there was no residue of anything of them.
Went back to purely News paper with no Megazorb or any other kind of litter.
Changed to Dust Free Hay.
Washed the trays in luke warm water rather than using disinfectant.
And also got some tempting hays, like Orchard, Broom, Oat and also sprinkled with Plaintain and some dried Strawberry Leaves :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: (Regular Gordon Ramsey or what!!!)

And Bingo - she started eating and stopped sneezing.

I just didn't believe it could be Allergy related but just goes to show;)

Awww sending a snuggle to little Fae,

Just a thought re something you could have a think about in conjunction to the exploratory stuff your Vet is doing.

I had a similar thing with Cagney a month or so ago, her sneezing got so bad that she wouldn't go in her hay box to eat as she just started sneezing all the time.

Now she has had the same litter, hay, I use the same low odour disinfectant for trays that I always did - so I was at a loss at what was causing the problem and suspected Bacterial infection.

My Vet suggested that she may have contracted an Allergy to something - I was somewhat doubting I've gotta say but decided to go right back to basics -

I got two new trays to ensure there was no residue of anything of them.
Went back to purely News paper with no Megazorb or any other kind of litter.
Changed to Dust Free Hay.
Washed the trays in luke warm water rather than using disinfectant.
And also got some tempting hays, like Orchard, Broom, Oat and also sprinkled with Plaintain and some dried Strawberry Leaves :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: (Regular Gordon Ramsey or what!!!)

And Bingo - she started eating and stopped sneezing.

I just didn't believe it could be Allergy related but just goes to show;)

Hi Lany :wave:

Thanks for this - its funny you've mentioned all that as i did suspect an allergy so have now stopped using wood pellets in her tray - just newspaper and Dust Free Hay! :D

I've also removed all smelly candles etc from the house just incase. I did use the cleaner on their litter tray last night so from now on i'll stop using that!

Syringe feeding her last night was awful :( Poor girl. She gets so distressed and i've never heard a bunny cry like she does! :(

Gave her some Kale and carrot after though to take away the taste and i did get a kiss from her so hopefully she wont hate me that much

Poor Fae :( ... I hope she feels better soon. If she really dislikes being picked up you could try putting the baytril on a piece of bread or plain biscuit or a piece of fruit such as an apple and letting it soak in before giving it too her. I tend to vary the food used when putting meds on it so one particular food is not associated with meds.

Taz.

The vets took her temp and she cried so much :( :( :( Then she did a bloody poop on the table :(

Oh poor darling Fae!!

In the "Textbook of Rabbit Medicine" by Frances Harcourt-Brown she says:

"The rectal mucosa is thin and easily damaged. Many practitioners do not routinely take the rectal temperature as part of their clinical examination because of the risk of trauma and the limitations in interpretting its significance."

I hope that's not what caused Fae to cry so?!

Oh poor darling Fae!!

In the "Textbook of Rabbit Medicine" by Frances Harcourt-Brown she says:

"The rectal mucosa is thin and easily damaged. Many practitioners do not routinely take the rectal temperature as part of their clinical examination because of the risk of trauma and the limitations in interpretting its significance."

I hope that's not what caused Fae to cry so?!

Oh god - i cant believe that! :( :( Poor Fae! I think i need to go and have a chat with my vets about this. I'm not inclined to take them back there anymore after this.

She is plopping fine though now so i hope there was no lasting damage.

Poor bun! Charlie will take the baytril if I mash it in a little banana for him. I know lots is not good for them but if he's ill I like to give him a treat. :)

Poor little Fae!! My vet had to take Darcy's temperature in the same way last time we went which he didn't like (obviously!) but he didn't scream!!:(

Darcy is terrible for taking medicine. I can't hide it in food anymore as Frasier will eat it for him - Frasier is such a dream with medicine as long as you put it in food!

What I've had to do is wrap Darcy in a towel so his legs are covered and then insert the syringe in the side of his mouth. He struggles A LOT so I have to do it over a few gos otherwise it ends up on me!!

Nose rubs for little Fae and (hugs) to you xxx

Poor little Fae!! My vet had to take Darcy's temperature in the same way last time we went which he didn't like (obviously!) but he didn't scream!!:(

Darcy is terrible for taking medicine. I can't hide it in food anymore as Frasier will eat it for him - Frasier is such a dream with medicine as long as you put it in food!

What I've had to do is wrap Darcy in a towel so his legs are covered and then insert the syringe in the side of his mouth. He struggles A LOT so I have to do it over a few gos otherwise it ends up on me!!

Nose rubs for little Fae and (hugs) to you xxx

Thank you Romy :D :D Will pass them onto Fae.

Cant imagine putting a thermometer up Miloe's bum! :shock: He'd go mental!! :lol:

Back