• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Eating normal poos!!

CRBevis

Mama Doe
:wave:

Some of you may know Bunnie was in early stages of GI stasis last sunday. she has now basically recovered, she is eating and drinking and pooing fine! One question though, she seems to be eating her normal poos alot and she never done this before! Is this maybe just temporary because she still recovering or is this a sign of lacking in something or does she just like eating both types of her poo now?

Both of mine do it too on occassions :lol: Unfortunately for one of my buns, I did not realise he was doing this and thought he had stopped poo'ing so whipped him down the vets for a gut stimulent:oops: :lol:

yeah mine does this occasionally...I can't comment with regards to Bunnie's specific situation but i posted about it once before and it was said to be quite common. i guess that doesnt explain why she's suddenly started it though :?

yeah mine does this occasionally...I can't comment with regards to Bunnie's specific situation but i posted about it once before and it was said to be quite common. i guess that doesnt explain why she's suddenly started it though :?

yeah she never done it before or even if she did not this much. Its a week ago now since we boought her home from hospital after GI stasis, so we panicked cos lack of poos. Then notied her munching on a pile of them. phew! we keep panicking though cos think what if stops pooing cos relapsing and we don't have a clue. Anyone elses buns poo differ in size aswell at certain times of day or after food or is it cos she still recovering? Where on tenterhooks all the times. When we stand there looking in litter tray she hopes over and looks too then at us as if to say "do you mind":roll:

It sounds quite normal unless she's eating tonnes of them :shock:

Bobbin eats his when he comes across them on the floor, it's like a surpirse hay treat that needs to be eaten a second time for good measure :lol: Sometimes I find half poos that he's obviously decided against mid way though trying them! :lol:

Does she have enough hay readily available? I think it's probably nothing to worry about unless you think it's very excessive.

It sounds quite normal unless she's eating tonnes of them :shock:

Bobbin eats his when he comes across them on the floor, it's like a surpirse hay treat that needs to be eaten a second time for good measure :lol: Sometimes I find half poos that he's obviously decided against mid way though trying them! :lol:

Does she have enough hay readily available? I think it's probably nothing to worry about unless you think it's very excessive.
Yeah she has a constant supply of Oxbow Brome hay which gets refreshed every 4-5 hours. Past couple of days every time she poo'd she ate them we think she's doing it a bit less now though. Does your buns poos range in size?

Back