• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

rescues..does it all get a bit too much sometimes?

hunnybun

Mama Doe
I run my rescue alone and I am absolutely knackerd!! Maybe cause I have a virus and am run down and it has been -5 today but I feel so exhausted and alone! Although I have had a very successful weekend of bonding and rehoming but some days I just need a hand!! I am in tears at the mo as i just feel so worn out :( Saturday I spent 6/7 hours outside working with the rescue and another 3/4 hrs yesterday and today about 4 hours. It took me over an hour to remove al the water bottles to defrost and wash them and I had to do it twice as it was so cold!! I have a dreadful cough and sore throat and high temp and should be I bed, but no rest for us rescue folk lol Moan over !!! I do love what I do but ohhh i need a day off !! :shock:

to answer your title...
YES!

but hope you are feeling better soon..keep your chin up..the bunnies need you xx

I run my rescue alone and I am absolutely knackerd!! Maybe cause I have a virus and am run down and it has been -5 today but I feel so exhausted and alone! Although I have had a very successful weekend of bonding and rehoming but some days I just need a hand!! I am in tears at the mo as i just feel so worn out :( Saturday I spent 6/7 hours outside working with the rescue and another 3/4 hrs yesterday and today about 4 hours. It took me over an hour to remove al the water bottles to defrost and wash them and I had to do it twice as it was so cold!! I have a dreadful cough and sore throat and high temp and should be I bed, but no rest for us rescue folk lol Moan over !!! I do love what I do but ohhh i need a day off !! :shock:

Oh no, poor you, i really admire all the work you girls (and boys no doubt) do, i wish i was local to you, would come and lend a hand and give you a day off :thumb:

How many water bottles do you have? I have spares so I take a fresh one out and leave the frozen one inside to defrost gradually. De-icing bottles is a pain :)

Also bottle springs/elastic make removing them easier when your fingers are frozen :)

Yes, I had promised myself that I would keep the piggies to the number of cages I have in the shed. I now have 5 additional cages outside the shed :(

Can you get some help with cleaning out ? Some of the larger foster homes for ARC have people who come in and clean out for them.

How many water bottles do you have? I have spares so I take a fresh one out and leave the frozen one inside to defrost gradually. De-icing bottles is a pain :)

Also bottle springs/elastic make removing them easier when your fingers are frozen :)

Thanks Tamsin good idea, i use john hopewel bottles I will order more tomorrow so I have a double supply ! :) :wave: I have about 20 on the go at the moment.

Awww you do such a fantastic job - I hope you're feeling better soon! When I'm not well I just do the bare minimum and rest - because I figure if I go under then they will all be homeless - you MUST look after yourself first!

Thanks Tamsin good idea, i use john hopewel bottles I will order more tomorrow so I have a double supply ! :) :wave: I have about 20 on the go at the moment.

Those are good aren't they :) Much more sturdy than the normal style. I use the stretchy clip from the bottle huggers to attach mine but I imagine you could create the same effect with a roll of elastic from a sewing shop tied on. The hocks that come with bottles are a real pain to get on/off.

Is there anything else that's particularly time consuming, perhaps other people have handy tricks for how they do things that could help :)

I imagine it's the repetitive time consuming stuff that's most wearing :(

You do a fantastic job though :D

awww hun, im so sorry you are feeling run down. I think your fantastic:D I hope you feel better really soon, sending you huge hugs.
Sallyx

YES!!! I was just thinking that earlier :(

I got in at 5 and spent 2 hours cleaning out cages and getting them ready for the new arrivals, I have sorted a bonding, booked two bunnies in, fed everyone (including my other pets) and just sat down with a sarnie myself.

Im still waiting on an arrival tonight and I havnt hd a chance to xmas shop yet.

Sometimes you just need to vent!!!

Those are good aren't they :) Much more sturdy than the normal style. I use
the stretchy clip from the bottle huggers
to attach mine but I imagine you could create the same effect with a roll of elastic from a sewing shop tied on. The hocks that come with bottles are a real pain to get on/off.

Is there anything else that's particularly time consuming, perhaps other people have handy tricks for how they do things that could help :)

I imagine it's the repetitive time consuming stuff that's most wearing :(

You do a fantastic job though :D

can you show me
the stretchy clip from the bottle huggers

that you mean Tasmin. Thanks x

I'm not Tamsin but I use them too...they're elasticated with hooks on each end so it's really easy to get the bottle in and out.

05082006001-1.jpg

Awww you poor thing. I'm just getting over a bout of flu which laid me out in bed last week. Kept trying to get up, thinking about everything that needed to be done and I don't run a rescue.:shock: I was just in so much pain, aching and knackered at the slightest thing, soooooooo frustrating! My eldest son is around at the moment so was able to help, so I really do feel for you! Elve is right, you must try and look after yourself and rest when you can. ( easier said than done I know)!

Aww hun I do hope you feel better soon. Couple of time savers I use ~ I have double the amount of bowls and prepare morning feeds and night time at the same time. Saves me going out and getting bowls first thing in the morning. Obviously I prepare veg at each feed. I use a big bag to top up hay during the day. Huge squash bottle full of water to refill water bottles. I also have dustbins near of hutches full of hay, couple of papers and a bag of shavings. Hope this helps a little x

you do a great job with all the bunnies and if i live any closer id be over all time helping out,you wouldnt be able to get raid of me.
jessica

Back