• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Abscesses

SOAD

Wise Old Thumper
Zippy has another Abscess, she seems to have no luck with them, this will be her third. This one is in her tear duct and she' snot had one there before, anyone had one in the tear duct before?

Jasper, a previous bun of mine did, it drained out of his nose (lovely). It was a good few years ago now but I think he also had a small op to drain it via his cheek. He had daily baytril injections but it did clear up eventually. He had on going teeth issues which was probably the orginal cause.

Tamsin

Thank you.

Yep Zippy's teeth are bad, in fact she's only got a couple now which have to be done every 6-8 weeks or they'll grow into the other side of her jaw, she's going into her third year of dentals now. They've put a drain in it, it doesn't sound like a nice place to have one and it was really thick apparently, can't wait to get her home for a cuddle. :( Poor old Zippy

If it's actually in the tear duct it's not as bad as it could be just generally in the tissue because the tear duct is a built in drain so it's not sealed off. I found that gently massaging the corner of the eye helped squeeze out the goo and keep any new goo from going solid.

Right I'll try that, I'm a bit scared of eyes :oops: , I'm going to have to get Bryn on the job :oops: :lol:

good luck just wanted to send lots of bunny vibes we are working on an eye/cheek abscess :( they are nasty things - good luck x

Awww sending Vibes to Zippy Gal,

Buffs is struggling with Abscess problems at the moment both one below her ear and has had reoccurent Abscess problems around her left eye for 12 months or so:(

But it is amazing how well they can cope Gal, Buffs has had one operation a month for the past 4 months to pop antibiotic beads in place - not quite into the tear duct - but her's seem to be towards the corner of her eye and across the top, but bless her she bounces back each time.

Its really amazed me how much I can cope with Nursing wise, always be tickle tummy'd - now I'm bathing, applying drops, packing with Manuka honey etc - I guess when you know they depend on you, something just gives you that extra strength.

One tip Soad, which might help, might not is that our Vet got me using False Tears as well an antiobiotic drops as a routine thing to help keep Buffy's eye healthy - as we feared one of the ops would result in her not being able to use her lid properly - I'm sure this has helped and with some gentle Physio she is now using her lid better but I'm still applying the drops as precaution.

Hope this helps Matey, cuddles to Zippy X

Awww, hope she's ok.
Ruby had an abcess in her lower eye lid, which burst and drained out of her nose. It was only a tiny one though, and is all better for the time being. She had baytril and fulcithalmic drops for a while.

seems abscesses are a big problem!! my bun has one behind her eye and has had the eye removed now but the abscess is back. i'd be interested to know how you get on with the drain as my vet was going to put one in but wasn't sure how she'd cope with it. He has left a hole for me to flush it but it keeps healing up which is a nightmare.
best of luck
Lisa and the buns

Back