• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

For people with very hairy bunnies...

I have a very hairy Lionhead and I was just wondering how yours all cope with the heat?
Our house isnt too warm. I turn the fire off and let it cool before bringing him in, and the heating isnt on high (if we turn it off we all freeze!). But Leo always seems to be breathing hard and he lies down a lot.
Of course, he might just be lazy!
He gets brushed regularly to remove excess hair but he tends to lie down, then run around a bit, then lie down, etc. Daisy is much more animated and hops around all the time (except when she nips back to nibble Leo's ears for a minute).

Is this normal or do you think he's overheating? I dont tend to keep him in for long because of this reason, and I worry about them going back out into the cold and it being a shock.
Can he stay in longer? Is there anything I can do? How do you all manage?

xxx

In the winter I only bring Pippa in for a quick brush as she gets too hot and does exactly as you described. If I can I brush her outside.

i always thught that big changs of temp were bad for bunnies? they can withstand cold temps but stuggle with big temp changes...i would try and do it outside as much as poss.do you keep them outside all of the time or are they house buns?
my two get a brush each day when i clean them out - they are both outside and seem to have pretty thick coats at the mo...they are lionhead x's

They live outside in a shed but come into the house for a change of scenery. Our garden is frozen so I dont really want to put them out in the run.
Im concerned about the changes in temperature which is why they dont come in for long - Daisy isnt bothered at all and runs around exploring. I just feel a bit mean if they cant go on the grass and cant come in the house. I would put him in the kitchen where it's cooler, but Leo doesnt like the lino because it's slippy! :p
Sadly I cant enclose them and then open the doors for a breeze, as I have a dog who has to be kept away from the rabbits.
The shed is fairly warm (all shut up, they have a big box full of hay and carpet on top to stay warm) so it's not like Im bringing them in from the outside-outside ;). What do you think? If they can withstand cold would it be better to put them out on the frozen ground? I dont want to freeze them!

xxx

They live outside in a shed but come into the house for a change of scenery. Our garden is frozen so I dont really want to put them out in the run.
Im concerned about the changes in temperature which is why they dont come in for long - Daisy isnt bothered at all and runs around exploring. I just feel a bit mean if they cant go on the grass and cant come in the house. I would put him in the kitchen where it's cooler, but Leo doesnt like the lino because it's slippy! :p
Sadly I cant enclose them and then open the doors for a breeze, as I have a dog who has to be kept away from the rabbits.
The shed is fairly warm (all shut up, they have a big box full of hay and carpet on top to stay warm) so it's not like Im bringing them in from the outside-outside ;). What do you think? If they can withstand cold would it be better to put them out on the frozen ground? I dont want to freeze them!

xxx

its up to you really, I give my two the option of going into their run whatever the weather and they seem to like sitting on the cold concrete! they even went straight down the ramp this morning when it was ***** freezing - could you give them the option of staying in or going out or would the dog issue be too much of a prob?
do you have a conservatory/utility room thats unheated...that could be another option?

If outside is secure they should cope fine with running around out there :) Rabbits cope much better with cold than they do warm weather.

Mine pair look like pom pom's they've fluffed up so much ready for winter :lol:

If you're kitchen is cooler perhaps a cheaper rug/blanket would solve the slippery issue - rabbits are soo fussy :lol:

we put a pvc backed picnic blanket on the kitchen floor to try and contain any mess a little bit. its also a little softer on our backsides ;) !. our long haired girlie runs around for a bit then hides under the kitchen table, but bizarrely this is the warmest part of the kitchen where the radiator is (only on lukewarm), anbd once she flopped out to go to sleep there :roll:

Back