• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Becoming a pet sitter

Squizz

Alpha Buck
Hi,

Recently I have been thinking about starting to do some pet sitting, and I just wanted some advice.

Is it a simple case of you can offer your services by advertising - or do you need to be registered with an organisation if you are going to advertise and charge people?:?

All advice will be gratefully received!

I'd guess insurance too, in case you pay a small fortune in emergency vet costs and the owner then refuses to reimburse you. Not sure who would offer this though.

It would depend on your exisiting employment status but would guess there are tax implications too? Not my strong point but think you'd be self employed and would have to declare it to the tax man, (which sounds like fun!). Not really sure but something to bear in mind!

Guess if there are franchises they'd sort all this for you.

I'd imagine you need insurance and I'd think paying for a CRB check would be a good idea [although I've never had one done so I don't know if they give you a document or something saying 'congratulations, you're not a criminal!'.. but I'd imagine that if they did it would be a useful thing to have]

Yeah if you get a CRB done, you get a print out saying whether or not you have any convictions, warnings etc.

Where are you? I'd think it would be best to be employed by a local petsitters as they'd cover insurance and all the hassle.

One I know of charges about £8 per 45 minute visit to the client, and you'd get paid about £6- £6.50ish.

Have a search on the internet to see what's local to you.

We do this as a business and you will need good insurance, good advertising and a CRB check as minimum if setting up on your own.

Thanks for the answers! I already work 4 days a week - so this wouldn't be a business for me - I could really only do one/two jobs in a week. Seems like maybe it will be too involved to make it worth my while though (for the amount of sitting I could actually do).

Plus I would get too upset if I had to sit rabbits that looked lonely, and I would end up wanting to take them all home with me :D

If I had a car I would definetly do it. If you think most people would want two visits a day, so you could pop in before and after work and that would earn you £80+ a week if someone was on a week's holiday.

Back