• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

So I finally tryed bonding my buns!

sunflower4357

Young Bun
Hey everyone :wave:

Sorry this will probably be a long post :rolleyes:

Not sure if you lot remember how worried I was about sophie and fluffy bonding, well i finally took the plunge and decided the weekend was the time to do it. :roll:

the background of it is, sophie is about a year and a half neutered and fluffy is about a years old neautered. They both have been living side by side in seperate cages for about 4 months now and they go side by side in the runs everyday to.

I used the neutral area of the bathroom for their bonding time and lets just say I was shocked! :p I had big thick gloves and a brush ready incase they faught, they didnt fight once, I was so pleased. Initially I was going to keep them together for 15 minutes but it turned into 2 hours as they seemed to be getting on so well. They just lied together and sophie bowed down to him a lot (I wouldve thought she would be the most dominant one - i was wrong!) :shock:

The following day I put them in the same place and they stayed there for 6 hours, him on top of her protecting her and her following him everywhere making sure he knew she was there, they even started grooming eachother and couldnt get enough of eachother.

After their six hours though I was so confident that they were great that I put them in the big hutch (which currently sophie is staying in for this week) and they were fine for the first few minutes until sophie started chasing him, i could tell she was about to attack so wuickly took her out. :?

Im going to try and put them both back into the bathroom again for long periods of time everyday this week and then friday attempt to put them in the hutch again.

This time i will clean the hutch with vinegar thoroughly and hope for the best, does anyone else have any other advice on what i could do? The thing with sophie is I was so sure she was going to do that even before she did it becuase she is really protective like that.

In the end I put her in his cage and him in hers (the big one) so hoping she gets the message they both got to share. :roll:

HIya,

If Sophie was bowing to him that means she wants Fluffy to groom her so she is being dominant. It sounds like they got on well in neautral territory which is great. When you put them both in Sophie's hutch she became territorial which is why she started going for him. Start again in the bathroom and leave them together in there, the longer the better. I'm attempting to bond a third into my pair at the mo and they've been in the kitchen for a good few days...this might not be necessary with yours though, especially if they are grooming each other and seem settled.

Clean her hutch thoroughly if this is where you want them to live and remember to clean her bowls etc too. And move things around in there so she doesn't recognise it.

Hope that helps. good luck! :thumb:

Thanks for that info, It doesnt surprise me that she is the more dominant one, poor fluffy :lol:

I left them in overnight in the same place and no fights or anything which is good, thinking of leaving them in the bathroom for the week then I will sort the cage at the weekend, hopefully that should give them enough bonding time to.

I hope you get your third one bonded to :)

I took a few pictures of them:-

Laying together

f71623859.jpg

What looks like him protecting her lol

f71625863.jpg

Them both sharing a carrott - awww!

f71621857.jpg

Back