• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

taming shy rabbits - please help

*all the bunnys are outdoors and bringing them in is not an option, I want to but I think rabbits should have very large houses*
about 6 months ago I got 3 dwarf lop rabbits (well 4, but one unfortunatly died), who we were told by a vet were 1 boy and two girls (we planned to have all three done) - a while later we found them fighting and check their gender, 3 boys so we split them up (in 3 pens in viewing range of each other) and took them to the vets the next day and they all got done on that day.

After several attempts at reuniting them they fight every time, once we fed them their brekfast together and they were great until they got bored with the food - then they fought and we split them up. We have given up all hope of reuniting them so now we dont try.

I have four rabbit places - a stable (all kitted out and bunny proof, straw on the floor, water bottle ect), a dog run (where we kept them firstly), a triangular prism shaped run/house (small) and a small cage (the nero 3, pets at home), so to make it fair so all the bunnys get some grass (from the dog run it has a back pen, then they swap between the nero cage and the "arc" as I call it. They swap about 3 times a day and stay in one all night.

As you may know most bunnys hate being picked up (mine do) and seeing as I need to pick them up several times a day to swap them into a different cage (it has the other ones scent in so if we need to bond them technically this should help), so this is making them frightened. The other day one of them kept turning back on me was going to bite or nip me, I don't know which. Then another turned and was definetly thinking of biting or nipping me.

Because I see them so much picking them up most of the time I see them is picking them up, so they probably think of me as picking them up ect. How do I I tame them because before I had to pick them up and when they were with eachother they were fine and friendly. I miss them like that and turning on me is not acceptable by them, I do have spare time but I own lots of other animals I care for to, I love the bunnys to bits =-)))))
sorry for the long post

*all the bunnys are outdoors and bringing them in is not an option, I want to but I think rabbits should have very large houses*
about 6 months ago I got 3 dwarf lop rabbits (well 4, but one unfortunatly died), who we were told by a vet were 1 boy and two girls (we planned to have all three done) - a while later we found them fighting and check their gender, 3 boys so we split them up (in 3 pens in viewing range of each other) and took them to the vets the next day and they all got done on that day.

After several attempts at reuniting them they fight every time, once we fed them their brekfast together and they were great until they got bored with the food - then they fought and we split them up. We have given up all hope of reuniting them so now we dont try.

I have four rabbit places - a stable (all kitted out and bunny proof, straw on the floor, water bottle ect), a dog run (where we kept them firstly), a triangular prism shaped run/house (small) and a small cage (the nero 3, pets at home), so to make it fair so all the bunnys get some grass (from the dog run it has a back pen, then they swap between the nero cage and the "arc" as I call it. They swap about 3 times a day and stay in one all night.

As you may know most bunnys hate being picked up (mine do) and seeing as I need to pick them up several times a day to swap them into a different cage (it has the other ones scent in so if we need to bond them technically this should help), so this is making them frightened. The other day one of them kept turning back on me was going to bite or nip me, I don't know which. Then another turned and was definetly thinking of biting or nipping me.

Because I see them so much picking them up most of the time I see them is picking them up, so they probably think of me as picking them up ect. How do I I tame them because before I had to pick them up and when they were with eachother they were fine and friendly. I miss them like that and turning on me is not acceptable by them, I do have spare time but I own lots of other animals I care for to, I love the bunnys to bits =-)))))
sorry for the long post

IMO the Bucks will find moving to another Buck's territory stressful in itself aswell as very confusing. Bucks 'work' very much on territorial boundaries and your three wont know what or where their boundaries are.

If you opt to continue to move them around then you could try transporting them in a Pet Carrier

Janex

to move them around why not try a secure pet carrier which they are tempted in using pellets or similar.

My concern with your set up is that if they are always switching around then the'll never really feel at home anywhere so might be more nervous as a result. Can you for example upgrade the two smaller cages to the 6tf by 2ft hutch that most would recomend and put them on a central run & let them have some time each in the run.

The other possibility is that, although boys are harder to bond, perhaps having another go with the buns that showed the least agression last time, in a completely neutral area like your bathroom, might work. Only separate if they show real agression like locking on to each other & biting (not humping and chasing which is normal). YOu could then have a couple in the shed and the other in the dog crate & run.

Back