• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

To be adopted?

rabbitabby

Alpha Buck
I had been keeping quiet and suppressing the want of a house bun for a very long time. Kai approached me last night about adopting "Dubbers", a bun of his good friend. Chris has two buns, Dubbers and Smudge (not housed together), and is finding less and less time. He actually offered for me to adopt Dubbers when he heard that Cruebun had passed away.

Since then I have made lots of random visits to Chris's and have spent some good portions of time with Dubbers. He is absolutely lovely and has such potential as a housebun. Right now he is out in a hutch :( He and Smudge have always been well cared for and in good health though, with the exception of their nails..

Without further ado, here is Dubbers. He is a mix of some sort, not sure what. He is such a sweetie! His markings are very subtle, except for his face.. it is a half and half!

upload1004.jpg

upload1022.jpg

upload1027.jpg

upload1003.jpg

We visited Chris's last night and had a go with Dubbers on the couch.. I was amazed at how fast he settled down, got curious, then decided to let it all hang out and take a nap behind Kai :laugh:

upload1015.jpg

(Horrible piccie, I know...)

He is such a sweet and good natured bun. And my house has just not been a home since Cruebun left me :cry:

**As soon as Dubbers is in our home, we are having his nails taken care of. I'm not sure why they were left to get so bad in the first place, but Chris has offered to pay for whatever procedure needs to be done to get them back to a healthy, normal length**

Last edited:
he is gorgeous but those nails are appauling - why hasn't he sorted them out? if you take dubbers can you sort the other one's nails out as well?

Since they were out in a hutch, I can assume that Dubbers and Smudge aren't handled that often. I'm pretty sure he just couldn't handle trimming them, and they got way too out of hand :( :( :( It is very sad, I can't wait to have them fixed up and normal.. he will feel such a world of difference, I'm sure.

he is gorgeous but those nails are appauling - why hasn't he sorted them out? if you take dubbers can you sort the other one's nails out as well?

Smudge's aren't nearly as horrible as Dubbers.. but still overgrown. I am hoping that when we take Dubbers in to have his taken care of (hopefully early next week.. we are making arrangements to take him home Sunday if all goes well), Chris will want to have Smudge taken care of as well.

could you trim the other buns nails before you take dubbers - they must be very uncomfortable when running about - can't be left like that. I am really shocked that someone has let that happen - they aren't just a little bit long.

EDIT - you were answering my earlier post just as i was typing this so ignore me! Good idea for him to get Smudge a check up and nail clip etc at the same time as you and Dubbers go.

Last edited:
could you trim the other buns nails before you take dubbers - they must be very uncomfortable when running about - can't be left like that. I am really shocked that someone has let that happen - they aren't just a little bit long.

EDIT - you were answering my earlier post just as i was typing this so ignore me!

I'm nervous to try Smudge's nails as they are black, and like Dubbers, I'm not sure how far the quick has extended. Initially I offered to trim both buns nails as soon as I saw them, but Dubbers' is so bad that the quick has extended so much, I'd think it would be safer to put him under and cut and styptic them. Would it be better to just shave off the tips of his nails every other day or so, and get them back to a normal length? Or would the vet visit be safer, quicker, and faster relief?

As soon as Kai mentioned us "taking Dubbers home", the first thing Chris said was, "I'll pay to have his nails taken care of." It wasn't, you can have his hutch, food, current toys, etc etc.. So I am really hoping Smudge will be accompanying Dubbers to have the nails sorted out.

It really is sad to see their nails in the condition they are, because proper trimming is all that needs to be done to avoid this. Very awkward when it is a friend or acquaintance, and not some random malicious person who hoardes animals, you know?

Last edited:
I'm nervous to try Smudge's nails as they are black, and like Dubbers, I'm not sure how far the quick has extended. Initially I offered to trim both buns nails as soon as I saw them, but Dubbers' is so bad that the quick has extended so much, I'd think it would be safer to put him under and cut and styptic them. Would it be better to just shave off the tips of his nails every other day or so, and get them back to a normal length? Or would the vet visit be safer, quicker, and faster relief?

Vet visit, definately :thumb: And please try & make sure Smudge's nails get seen to asap, and keep checking on him whilst your round your friends - I cant imagine how awful they would be for poor bunnies :cry:

Yes, I know what you mean. I am no bunny nails expert but one will hopefully be along soon. If the quick has extended i would take him/them to the vets and get them to fix it if there is a way. Hopefully someone with nail cutting experience will be here soon and can tell you your options.

Last edited:
Vet visit, definately :thumb: And please try & make sure Smudge's nails get seen to asap, and keep checking on him whilst your round your friends - I cant imagine how awful they would be for poor bunnies :cry:

I'm definately going to try my best. Smudge's hutch has some type of granite or marble in his hutch, whereas Dubbers has only had bedding, so I am assuming that is why his are not as severe.. has at least had something to somewhat wear them down a bit.

Back