• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Advice Needed Please.

cavysrock

Wise Old Thumper
Hello,
I know I said I wouldn't be coming back again, but I genuinley need soem adviceXxX
I was thinking about what people have said and it seems to me you are right, I do have to many animals and I shouldn't of got that many in the first place. As I can't go back in time and start over, I thought about maybe re-homing a few.
I'd re-home some of my guinea pigs and one rabbit, probably Asbeau as Magic and Blue come as a package and I can't bare to part with Blue or Holly, It's not that I don't love Asbeau, rather the opposite, I adore him and want what is best for him in a new home, so I was wondering how should I go about re-homing him?
Would RR be best? Or some other place?
I wouldn't re-home until after christmas or even advertise them until afterwards, but I'd like to be prepared.
Thanks for reading XxX

beth it shouldnt have come to this but if this is want you want think it throught very hard.i had to rehome charlie n it broke my bloody heart but i know he is happy n getting al the love,care and time that he needs.i appologise if i seemed harsh in the blocked thread,nobodys perfect in what they do.hope you decide what is best for you and your buns.n piggies.x:D

Hi Beth, I definitely would try to rehome them through here. Im sorry you are having to make such a difficult decision.
Sallyx

:wave: i didn't know you weren't coming back! I must have missed that thread but glad you are back. I hope you find lovely homes for your pigs and bunny.

I think people are unfair to you, Beth, and you do a better than adequate job looking after your animals. We tend to live in a blinkered world on RU and get caught up in how to look after rabbits fantastically rather than adequately. The majority of rabbits in the UK, I would estimate, live in far from adequate conditions, and you have strived to improve your rabbits living quarters and happiness over the past year. If you feel you are unable to care properly for your rabbits then look at rehoming some, as I did Teddy and Jemima, but if you don't want to and only feel you have to as you were criticised by some people on RU, then don't as you will regret it, no matter how nice a home you find for your pets. Just know your limitations, and don't get anymore, no matter how cute or needy they are. Continue to improve how you care for them. I think there aren't that many 14 year olds who spend that much time worrying about their rabbits or guineapigs.

Hey, good luck whatever you decide Beth :D

I can really sympathize with you, but TBH I think it's the time of year. I sometimes feel like I don't give mine adequate attention in the cold winder months (I barely even see them during daylight hours at this time of year :( )

Just FYI I think Bramcote Animal Rescue has places for rabbits ATM.

Amy

So sorry to hear you have been having a hard time both on here and at home with the pets :cry:

If you know it is for the best then I would defo rehome privately through RU as many rescues are going to need the space over the winter months for the many abandoned animals no longer wanted after the festive season is over, I cant beleive people are already taking their pets to rescues saying that they need to go as they are in the way for xmas :evil: :censored:

Good luck

I think people are unfair to you, Beth, and you do a better than adequate job looking after your animals. We tend to live in a blinkered world on RU and get caught up in how to look after rabbits fantastically rather than adequately. The majority of rabbits in the UK, I would estimate, live in far from adequate conditions, and you have strived to improve your rabbits living quarters and happiness over the past year. If you feel you are unable to care properly for your rabbits then look at rehoming some, as I did Teddy and Jemima, but if you don't want to and only feel you have to as you were criticised by some people on RU, then don't as you will regret it, no matter how nice a home you find for your pets. Just know your limitations, and don't get anymore, no matter how cute or needy they are. Continue to improve how you care for them. I think there aren't that many 14 year olds who spend that much time worrying about their rabbits or guineapigs.

I don't think the main issue is with Beth herself, but the fact that she lacks the parental support I (and several other members from what I've read) believe a 14 year old needs when having pets. Not just financially - I was working in a petshop at 14 and ever since then I paid for everything for 'my' pets and the majority of the costs for the family pets too, but relied on my parents for lifts to the vets, help when I was ill, etc. and I couldn't have done it without their help (nowadays if I can't get a lift I'll get a taxi or walk, and I'm having driving lessons, I can book time off work or take the animals with me if they're ill, unlike at school), but I still have that family support if I'm away for the night or needing help.

I don't think the main issue is with Beth herself, but the fact that she lacks the parental support I (and several other members from what I've read) believe a 14 year old needs when having pets. Not just financially - I was working in a petshop at 14 and ever since then I paid for everything for 'my' pets and the majority of the costs for the family pets too, but relied on my parents for lifts to the vets, help when I was ill, etc. and I couldn't have done it without their help (nowadays if I can't get a lift I'll get a taxi or walk, and I'm having driving lessons, I can book time off work or take the animals with me if they're ill, unlike at school), but I still have that family support if I'm away for the night or needing help.

I completely agree :thumb:

Some people have been having a right go at Beth but at least she has come here to ask advice :D Its a lot more than most 14 year olds would do!

Plus I really dont see how anyone can think she is even at fault here :? She is obviously trying her best but she is only 14 years old therefore her parents should be responsible for her pets. I seriously doubt at 14 many of us would have felt comfortable calling the vet and making an appointment, getting there all by ourselves with an animal and actually seeing the vet. Especially if your parents are giving you a hard time about it too :? She has to live with them!

I had a cat bed and cat toys in my room for about a year before my parents felt it was the right time for me to have a pet! Plus I had to save up all year so I could pay vet bills and I was nearly 17 with two jobs after college and weekends! When my 14 year old brothers rat was sick there is no way me or my mum would have ever said alright Craig your on your own call the vet if you really think you need to :shock: :? And if we had he wouldnt have had a clue what to do because he is a 14 year old!

To be honest what I have seen on here regarding Beth looks like bullying to me and I am actually disgusted with it! It doesnt matter what she posts about there are certain people right there just waiting to have a go and make her feel bad :roll:

Beth, think carefully about this :D You said you have the funds to cover vet bills maybe having a chat with your parents would be best? Either about the number of pets you have or about support when one needs to see a vet? x

Last edited:
at 14 i was not allowed pets.. i had one hamster and at one point we had a dog... my dad was not prepared to take on the role of carer when i got bored so no pets in our house.. i think until beth is an adult her parents should take ultimate responsibitly on how many animals they can cope with in the family environment...and i think at 14 she should be concentrating on having fun and being a child, adulthood and real life hit all to soon. i really hope you find some lovely homes for your babies hun and wait until you are old enough and past childhood before investing time and money into pets... i was 22 when i got george and i loved him all the more because i felt id waited all my life to get him :)

Beth,

Please don't rehome any of your pets merely due to pressure from people on a internet forum. As has been said, if you are looking after them adequately then that is enough, it really is.

What exactly are you struggling with? Is it the time spent looking after them or the money involved?

Take a step back. You have recently lost 2 of your pets and will still be upset about this. Leave any decision for a month or so and then reasses how you are feeling.

Wishing you all the best in whatever you decide to do.

This forum should be here for help and chat about buns also too educate where people have gone wrong,i have got it wrong with buns before and i am 30 years old and it was not till finding this forum that i learnt so much,my point being people should back you not push you off this forum,so if you do need advice there will always be peaple ready too give it as in the previous posts,14 years old ,well your doing really well,nobody is perfect,rick

I completely agree :thumb:

Some people have been having a right go at Beth but at least she has come here to ask advice :D Its a lot more than most 14 year olds would do!

Plus I really dont see how anyone can think she is even at fault here :? She is obviously trying her best but she is only 14 years old therefore her parents should be responsible for her pets. I seriously doubt at 14 many of us would have felt comfortable calling the vet and making an appointment, getting there all by ourselves with an animal and actually seeing the vet. Especially if your parents are giving you a hard time about it too :? She has to live with them!

I had a cat bed and cat toys in my room for about a year before my parents felt it was the right time for me to have a pet! Plus I had to save up all year so I could pay vet bills and I was nearly 17 with two jobs after college and weekends! When my 14 year old brothers rat was sick there is no way me or my mum would have ever said alright Craig your on your own call the vet if you really think you need to :shock: :? And if we had he wouldnt have had a clue what to do because he is a 14 year old!

To be honest what I have seen on here regarding Beth looks like bullying to me and I am actually disgusted with it! It doesnt matter what she posts about there are certain people right there just waiting to have a go and make her feel bad :roll:

Beth, think carefully about this :D You said you have the funds to cover vet bills maybe having a chat with your parents would be best? Either about the number of pets you have or about support when one needs to see a vet? x

I completely agree with what you are saying with regards to bullying Beth, I have really had to bite my tongue, some of the things I have read have made me so angry, I knew if I posted at the time, I would end up with a infraction. So I pm'd Beth with a bit of support, I really dont know who the hell people think they are with regards to being nasty to Beth, obviously she is trying her best and people need to remember she is 14 years old, If anyone spoke to me like that I would go mad, I really do feel for Beth people are supposed to be helpful, but alot of people are just being nasty because they think it's ok. It's no more than bullying. Anyway back to the main post, Beth I know you are trying your best and it is really hard, but I know you are thinking of your animals and that is the main thing, good luck with everything hun:D .
Sallyx

Hi Beth,

I've just caught up on the post where lots of people had a go at you. In a way you were all right, but that's no excuse for the tone in which things were said. Are you sure you want to rehome any animals? It sounds like you do as good a job as a lot of people and much better than a lot too.

I completely agree with what you are saying with regards to bullying Beth, I have really had to bite my tongue, some of the things I have read have made me so angry, I knew if I posted at the time, I would end up with a infraction. So I pm'd Beth with a bit of support, I really dont know who the hell people think they are with regards to being nasty to Beth, obviously she is trying her best and people need to remember she is 14 years old, If anyone spoke to me like that I would go mad, I really do feel for Beth people are supposed to be helpful, but alot of people are just being nasty because they think it's ok. It's no more than bullying. Anyway back to the main post, Beth I know you are trying your best and it is really hard, but I know you are thinking of your animals and that is the main thing, good luck with everything hun:D .
Sallyx

I completely agree with you Sally. In the past Beth has been a bit silly and told a few untruths about her pets and life, and I think people remember that and that's why there's the bullying going on. HOWEVER I have seen that Beth's posts have matured as she's grown older and she is doing her best given her lack of parental support and money. I think the most recent bullying is disgusting and people (mostly adults) responsible should be ashamed of themselves

I did have pets at the age of 14, we had rabbits, budgies, hamsters and fish. The care we gave them was far below what we expect nowadays, but I didn't know any better, and my parents saw and still see rabbits as pets to stick in a hutch and that's it. Beth's animals live in far better conditions than the majority of rabbits in the UK, just going by where I live I know of numerous bunnies in tiny hutches, unvaccinated and alone. That is the NORM in the UK, and yes, we strive to improve this, and I'm constantly working and nagging people to improve the lives of their rabbits (they must get really fed up of me lol!!) but surely the way to help someone on RU is not to bully and drive them away or to make them feel they should put their rabbits (who have a home) into a rescue thereby taking the place of rabbits with no home? Defeats the objective surely??

..... However saying that, Beth, please know your limitations and don't take on any more animals. I know it is really hard when we see all these rabbits in need but at the end of the day if you can't afford them then it's not helping them :)

I think the most recent bullying is disgusting and people (mostly adults) responsible should be ashamed of themselves.

Agree with the above. ^^ I'm not sure people mean to come across as bullies, but sometimes, reading threads - not just Beth's, sometimes others - the tone in which things come across, or the way 'advice' is worded is unkind at best. And I don't think people should make the excuse they're 'giving advice that was asked for' or that 'they're just looking out for the welfare of the animal' - the simple fact is, sure, it's all said via a computer screen, but there's a person behind it. And it's unfair to word things in a way that upset the person. Of course advice should be given, especially when there seems a real need of it - but maybe it should be worded in a gentle, more understanding way that doesn't leave people feeling as if they're providing inadequate care for an animal they love, and are caring for in a way that is better than most? Just my opinion, so please no one flame me or bite my head off. :)

Back