• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Hay

XMissySJx

Wise Old Thumper
ok so im no newbie, but yeh im asking about hay!

We buy HUGE bales from local farm at £3 each, given 2 big sharings a da, morning and night to two pairs, it lasts 6 weeks. BARGAIN!

Its nice, long, yellowish/green hay. meadow hay im assuming.

however after seeing sillyrabbits scarlett eating such LOVELY green hay lol, i jus want to ask..

should i buy some different hay for the hayracks like timothy...and then still put the meadow in their hutch as extra..or just stick to meadow?

reason im asking is, i know normally people say 'oh hay experts do really good hays' etc and yes it seems like they do...but when i pay £3 every six weeks...compared to the price on H.E...is it worth it??

if yes, what hay shud i get, theres 2 many diff types

:wave: Hey hun

If they are eating the meadow hay you are getting then I wouldnt bother :lol: Mine have stopped eating cheap hay now and its a right pain because its not just the hay being more expensive its postage too sometimes :shock: :lol: Pampered Piggies didnt even charge me postage last time I ordered hay because they thought it would be too much :shock:

What I used to do for Trip when he was on his own was get just one bag of timothy hay and mix it all up with a huge bag of meadow hay :D

i just figred if its doing them the same good as expensive hay should i jus stick to what i give them, and then maybe buy little bags now and again as a treat?

cus £3 every six weeks is soo cheap

Yes, I'd say if they are eating stacks of the cheaper stuff, why mess with success? If you introduce the posh stuff (as I did), you may well find they go off the cheaper stuff! :shock: :roll:

I agree - if they're eating enough of the meadow hay I wouldn't bother with the expensive ones, I only use them as a treat and for buns like my fussy little Santa who will only eat oat hay :roll:

the green hay is all very nice but ive found it very dusty... glad i dont have asthama.... id love to get the fresh stuff like you SJ

Don't feel bad, mine only have the dustfree hay, and that's only to keep Salt's snuffles at bay. They have a handful of readigrass a day, and I buy the Timothy Hay cubes for a treat, but they are never as happy as when they have a box of normal hay to sit in and nibble on.

ohhh yeah SJ try the cubes... Alvin loves them :) i wouldnt feel bad hun if they are enjoying thier lovely fresh hay its gotta be better than the expensive pre-packaged stuff *plans a move by a farm*

I'd stick with what they are eating now if they go mad for it. Both mine love the dust free hay, and theres a marked difference in Jens poo's if she has 'posh' hay instead - Not healthy at all. They still get posh hay as a treat though, just stuffed in plantpots, loo roles, willow balls etc (oat hay mostly). Also, they go mad for dried grass ;)

:wave: Hi Hun I would stick with what they have as you have said they eat it and love it. Perhaps when you have extra pennies buy a treat of some more expensive hay. Mine have Timmy hay and oat hay from Pampered piggies and love it. :D

Back