• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Clipping claws - me or vet????

kelzuna

Warren Scout
Liquorice's claws are getting quite long - probably because he isnt out as much with weather.

He is due a myxi jab in new year - should i let the vet clip them then or should i try myself???

He absolutly hates being picked up and is a little struggler - frightened incase he struggles and i cut too much or hurt him.

what do u think?

I had the vet do it while Lola had her myxi booster. she hates anyone touching her feet so i didnt want to wind her up by trying myself.

i do all mine myslelf, although bcus your boy has black fur hes going to hav eblack clawss..which are alot harder to so as you cant see where to trim.

I would let the vet do it the first eime and ask him 2 show you how he dus it, and then try it yourself :D

if he wriggles alot its usualy easier to bribe someone else to help you, unless your vet does them for free (mine charge £5 for the privilege)

I can do Smokey's myself, they're clear and she doesn't struggle when she's being held.

Inky has black claws, one of which is wonky after a broken toe, I get the vet to do his when I have him vaccinated, my vet doesn't charge when I ask.

I clip them myself.
If the rabbit has dark claws, it helps to put some light behind them, then you can see where the vein goes;) I haven't tried that myself though...even though both Sasuke and Aroma have very dark claws (I'm finding it hard to old hold the flashlight and the bunny at the same time:roll: I am so happy Zakura's got bright claws...yet she seems to bleed sometimes too, because she can't sit still:shock:)
If it does bleed, put some ice or cold water on the paw, that helps stop the bleeding;)

Fudge has light claws so I do his. Wrapping him in a small towel helps to keep him still and he doesn't seem to mind too much.

I let the vet do ours in case they wriggle. My parents do their buns claws themself though. I think it depends on how much they wriggle and how co-operative they are!

Back