• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Veg for Giant Buns.

mit

Mama Doe
Hi guys.

After have a crazy week with Dermot, im trying to get him back to a normal routine and moving him back outside.

And i was just wondering how much veg you guys give your giant buns?? I kinda need to know how much to too much or even too little. I dont the whats portions to give.

Along with the veg he has 5tablespoons of Pellet of SS, soon to be changed over to OxbowBB, a bowl of DriedGrass and Unlimted Hays.

At the moment he's getting a handfull of Spring Greens in the evenings, which after look at what some feed thier buns look like a TINY Portion.

Hope you guys can help.
Cheers!

m
xx

hey. i have a giant conti. she only has a chunk of carrot, broccoli and spring greens, i dont give her too much as it can upset her tummy. If your bun likes the veg and it doesnt upset his tum then its upto you how much you give really. When i first got Lola i asked about this and it seems to be a personal choice. I feed a large bowl of pellets a day (and she would eat more if i let her...she can't get enough pellets!) and as much hay as i can get her to eat (she's not a great hay eater but she doesnt have a lot of choice, she's got to have it) I'm sure you'll get some better advice from others with more experience:D

hey. i have a giant conti. she only has a chunk of carrot, broccoli and spring greens, i dont give her too much as it can upset her tummy. If your bun likes the veg and it doesnt upset his tum then its upto you how much you give really. When i first got Lola i asked about this and it seems to be a personal choice. I feed a large bowl of pellets a day (and she would eat more if i let her...she can't get enough pellets!) and as much hay as i can get her to eat (she's not a great hay eater but she doesnt have a lot of choice, she's got to have it) I'm sure you'll get some better advice from others with more experience:D

This is gonna sound wiered, but do you have a photo of the veg chopped up in a bowl, so i can kinda get more of a idea on portion size.

:oops: :oops: :oops:

It's only cause people say a chunk of Carrot, but how big is a chunk? You chuck size and my chunk size might be different. LoL.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

m
xx

I don't have pics, even of Lola, because i have lost the usb cable for my camera...however i pick the biggest carrots in the supermarket and cut it every inch. lola likes to sit and munch for ages so it keeps her going. i give her a leaf of spring green/cabbage and one of the sprigs from a broccoli (sorry if thats a bit vague:oops: )

I don't have pics, even of Lola, because i have lost the usb cable for my camera...however i pick the biggest carrots in the supermarket and cut it every inch. lola likes to sit and munch for ages so it keeps her going. i give her a leaf of spring green/cabbage and one of the sprigs from a broccoli (sorry if thats a bit vague:oops: )

No, No. That makes perfect sence. Thank You!!

m
xx

If you are feeding complete pellets then the fresh veg is a supplement surely. We give fresh veg everyday (mainly carrot, greens and banana) but in limited amounts for variety and interest. As ours live in groups it's hard to say what amounts each rabbit has but as long as we don't get upset tums we aren't giving too much.

As has been said it is personal choice on your part and also depends on how much your rabbits digestive system can cope with. This doesn't necessarily have anything to do with the size of the rabbit.

The important things are hay and water to be available 24/7 and pellets once/twice a day to ensure all vitamins/nutrients are being eaten. Any extra veg etc may mean the rabbit eats less hay which isn't good.

Maria

Last edited:
I have two conti's, and each day for breakfast (between them) they generally have 1 stick of celery, a good sized carrot, 2 big leaves of spring greens and half an apple.

I swap things around for variety, so they also like pears, plum, kale etc.
Most days I like them to have at least 2hrs grazing in the garden too, along with unlimited hays and some readigrass or alfalfa (ocasionally).

On the evening they have 2 handfuls each of Allen & Page.

Obviously a lot will depend on your indvidual buns tummy, what he's used to eating, and how old he is.

I think mine sounds a lot compared to others who only feed limited veg, but mine get lots of exercise to burn it off, and they live outside so burn up more keeping warm.

If you are feeding complete pellets then the fresh veg is a supplement surely..........................................The important things are hay and water to be available 24/7 and pellets once/twice a day to ensure all vitamins/nutrients are being eaten. Any extra veg etc may mean the rabbit eats less hay which isn't good.

Maria

I understand exactly what you say Maria and thats what i have always thought and practiced. A little amount of pellets, lots of hay and water, with a little veg twice a week as a treat. But as Dermot isnt eat enough hay, so i was told be need roughage in any sort, so was adviced to give him more veg.

:? :? :?

m
xx

I have the same problem getting Lola to eat hay. she only eats it as a last resort. If she's hungry enough she will eat some which makes me feel mean but its whats best for her. I have found that shoving hay in a toilet roll tube makes it more interesting and she eats more that way:shock: and she will only eat Oat Hay:roll: I dont think upping the veg would compensate for lack of hay eating tho:? ...hopefully someone will post and clear things up

My Frenchies Louis and Lottie have the same veggies as the other bunnies :D I feed spring greens atleast two large leaves between them, carrots about 2 large ones, brocolli a floret each, corriander. I try and alternate veggies feeding celery, apple, swede, cauliflower and different herbs each day, a mix of these. They get spring greens daily though. I feed A & P pellets mixed with readigrass, veggies and herbs twice a day. Hay is always in hutches, trays and racks.

Wispa today had one spring green leaf, a large carrot and about 5 little florets of broccoli. i basically almost fill a medium sized dog bowl and she eats what she wants. i just guessed really

Back