• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bonding Advice!

Kenno

Warren Scout
Hi
:wave:
I'm currently in the process of getting a little wifey for my Tomee, I have one in mind at the moment, we're just going through how she can get here. (It's little Bea if you check the Rabbits In Need part.)

If that's successful I shall be attempting to bond her to Tomee. Problem is I have absolutely no clue on what I'm doing.

I know I need a neutral space for them to initially be introduced in, I'm hoping to use the downstairs bathroom as I could keep an eye on them better and Tomee's taken over the garden so it's not so neutral anymore. Would that be suitable? They are outdoor rabbits so I was going to turn the radiator off and open the window for ventilation.

Here are my questions:

What kind of things do I need to have in there?
What kind of behaviour do I need to look out for? Good & bad?
How do I stop bad behaviour?
Once they're in the territory do I just leave them in there?
How do I know if they've bonded and ready to go in they're hutch?

One important question, once I have her is it alright to put her straight with Tomee in the neutral place? As I know your suppose to put them in their new hutch and let them settle, but her new hutch is going to be Tomee's new hutch also.

Any other advice that would help?

Sorry that was so long, but I'd really appreciate the help!

Thanks

Lauren

Sorry i can,t really help on bonding.
I took my Angel to the local rescue and they bond her for me.
I am a wimp and don,t think i would have the nerves to do it myself:oops:

Last edited:
Oh that's ok! :)
That's a good idea but I think I'm gonna have to do it myself.
Plus I plan on keeping rabbits forever and ever so I may aswell get some experience of bonding!

Even tho my fourway bonding is failing :( I have some info that may help...

Firstly, you need to keep your nerves, and expect to see Tommee acting like he hasnt before which may be worrying. Expect fur flying and mounting and grunting and be wary of fighting... no locking on and try to anticipate any fights (tail up, tense posture)... saying all that male/female bonding is easiest and may be plain sailing (like my two pairs).

You must make sure th eplace is neutral, no smells of buns at all! Even if you have walkedin tommees patch and then in teh bathroom etc (white wine vinegar diluted wiht water is best), and put clean clothes on maybe too sothat no bunny smells are on you...put in a litter tray, hay and toys (cardboard inners of toilet rolls, pine cones etc - nothgin Tommee or Bea has touched) and boxes to hide in - make sure there are two holes in them for entry and exit. And a bowl or two of water... may be best to have two litter trays and piles of hay in them incase they are uncomfortable eating side by side at first.

Do not leave them until they are happy together... or at least the first few hours if you can hear them from where you go away from the bathroom.
A water spray or a clap of hands is good to prevent/stop any fights.

And dont panic... stay calm or they will sense it, and keep with it.. thigs may be slow they ay be fast.. bum nipping is ok and so is mounting (not back to front or bits may get bitten :shock: )

I picked Molly up and gave her 30 mins to calm down afer car journey then strated bonding.

Read up on the net for 'rabbit noises' and 'rabbit behaviour' and house rabbit society for tips and good luck!!! :D

Thanks emjay, that's alot of help!

Can I go in and play with them once they're settled though or is it just best to leave them be?

So if I handled the little girl and put her in the bonding area it's best to change clothes before I handle Tomee cos he'll smell her on me? But if she's in there first and then I put him in doesn't it mean that it's no longer neutral cos she went in first? Or am I just getting too confused?

OH gosh, I'm so nervous! Tomee best not fight her or I'll be having words with him and vice versa!

It's so scary! :?

I've never tried bonding since the 5 new, unspayed girls I got all attacked my one poor little male :roll: All at the same time :shock: I think that was a mistake :rolleyes: But in theory I know what to do :D

Your downstairs bathroom sounds fine. If you are driving to fetch Bea, or whoever, take him too, and someone who can supervise them in the car - start them off in 2 seperate carriers, then after about 20 mins pop them in the same carrier, and drive for another half hour at least. Hopefully they will 'comfort' each other as most rabbits hate car journeys.

Then when you get home, put them in the downstairs bathroom with several piles of hay, several litter trays, water dishes, food bowls, toys etc. and leave them there for about 3 days till they are thoroughly bonded. It's important to leave them there as every change of scene will cause a tussle for who's going to be boss in the new place, so they need to really have worked out who's boss before you move them.

If there's nipping and mounting and chasing and a bit of fur pulling that's normal - but make sure you have gardening gloves on and a broom or (I have used) a plastic wash basket, to seperate them if the fighting gets nasty. Nasty fighting is what I witnessed with my rabbits - locked on with teeth, flat to the floor on their sides and whirling like a catherine wheel, digging at each others stomachs with their back legs - Although hopefully you won't ever see that as it's pretty scary :shock:

Last edited:
I have to confess to the 'putting them in together and letting them sort it out' approach:oops: Don't worry if there's a little fur flying and a bit of chasing. Of course, if teeth and claws are involved you need to separate them, but otherwise they're just doing what comes naturally.
Good luck!

Thanks for all the advice, it's definately going to come in handy! :D

I'm excited to get him a girlfriend but I'm a little scared at the same time, but like you said it's only natural apart from when claws and teeth are involved. So I'm hoping things will go smoothly!

I'm gonna have to get mega prepared before hand!

Preparation is the key!!! Gte some things in the room for yourself too, food drink book laptop, whatever so you dont haev to leave (think thats another reason why bathroom are good cos of the loo!!:shock: )
Car journey is a very good idea when picking little bea up :D Didnt think of that one!! I have a problem that Poppy seems to love car journeys :roll:
Get the room set up before you leave and then you will be ready to rock and roll when you get back :D (maek sure oyu take a carrier or box large enough for two bunnies, but not so big that they can run around... nice enough size isi where the two buns can lie down together if they wish... put soem hay in that too.. actually quite good that it is a girl being introduced cos thats teh easier way round as girls are more territorial of thier homes thatn boys, they tend to think about it a bit then think 'oh well I guess thats fine' (just like people I guess :lol: ) how far are you travellign for her?

I wouldnt bother about changing clothes once you are on your journey. You'll have picked them both up by then.
Also when you come to put them in the bathroom try to do both at the saem time (one out of the carrier at a time) ....

Oh and get the new accommodation (i.e. Tomee's base) cleaned up too if you can - debunny (dilted milton or diluted white wine vinegar) ... if not then you may be able to do it whilst they are in the bonding room... when you are happy toleave them - ie no fights and mayeb snuggles if you're lucky ;)

First things to look for... they will prob roam abotu scenting and sizing up the place first and ignore each other, when they are happy with that then they wil start to notice each other. Mounting is actually good as its a sign that they liek each other (or the mounting one at least) and one chasing and the other running away is also good. Its wehn one turns back to have a go back that you need your wits about you :D You'l prob hear grunts form Tomee (hormones!) and a little thump of the feet... thats his 'frustration' at not having it away with her (scuse me!)... you may also hear a wimper and stomp which will signify any of anger/frustration/stress/fear... you'll know which by the situation and the body language...

OK enough now. turning into a bit of an essay here!! and sorry if I haev repeated myself anywhere too!!!!

Oooh when are you going to get her?? Have you told Tomee yet ?? :D

Last edited:
HaHa, you're a fountain of knowledge! Thanks so much, I'm gonna favourite this page I think, it's going to come in handy!

I don't know about introducing them in the car, as I think I might be doing the journey on my own. She's coming from Devon, or hopefully if we can get a bunnyrun sorted.

They're both getting a whole new accomodation, Tomee's not allowed in it until he has a wife to share it with! He doesn't know Bea's coming, it's a surprise. HeHe!

Not sure when she's coming yet, as soon as possible I think. I need to start building the new run! What a disaster that's going to be! :lol:

I just don't know how I'm going to ask my mum if I can borrow the bathroom for a couple days! She'll hit the roof! There's no where else they can go though! Tomee's been everywhere!

If you do use another room, just give it a clean with diluted white wine vinegar... any rooms with a wooden or tiel floor that you can mop maybe? (skirtings too - anything within reach of Tomee's chin :lol: )

When you go to pick her up.. take a box big enough for two and an extra one in case they are fine in teh car... but it really is a good idea to start in the car if you can.. as soon as the engine is running they will be too worried about that than each other :lol: unless either of them like the car (can happen Poppy was liek that) adn you could have them on the front seat next to you so you can see what they are up to.
If you feel you cant do it never fear... didnt do that with Charlie and Molly (didnt know at the time!) neutral room and distractions were enough :D

As for beig a fountain of knowledge.. I failed at my four bun bonding attempt :( tho I know the theory buns have a mind of their own (shockin!! lol).. Its all in my post (bonding four... begins today).... tho I have managed to bond two pairs successfully at least...

Tis a stressful time but so worth it to see two loved up buns together :D

PS plan to start it when you have at least a weekend free to supervise - if it happens over christmas then you'll have plenty of time with the hols :D

Back