• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

going to hopefully move buns into understairs cupboard just like harry potter!

Beatrix Potter

Mama Doe
The rabbit shed is finally ready for the rabbits to move into...Squirrel is used to being outside as he has got a hutch out there, Spudsey my wild bun however hasn't and has been living in a centrally heated house...My o/h wants her out now as she is slowly destroying the lounge:lol:

They have been dating but she has on occasions been ignoring him so my plan over the next few days was to get them both in the shed and sit in there with them each day.

The shed is a wendy house design which I can stand up in, and has perspex windows. I've put some old carpet on the floor, plus some cheap pet bed (supposedly like vet bed) on the floor and going to put in a cat carrier stuffed with hay.

Is it too cold? It feels freezing today but in the shed it feels cool but not really cold. I really don't want to do it and her die through doing it. I'd appreciate your opinions.

Suzanne

Last edited:
Your bun wont of developed a winter coat, so its probably not a good idea to put her outside yet,maybe wait till the warmer weather comes around?
Even if your bun is going in a shed, its still quite a dramatic temprature drop, from a central heated house to an outdoor shed. I'm moving my 3 buns outside when I get a shed, but I wont do it till its warmer, just incase.

Your bun wont of developed a winter coat, so its probably not a good idea to put her outside yet,maybe wait till the warmer weather comes around?
Even if your bun is going in a shed, its still quite a dramatic temprature drop, from a central heated house to an outdoor shed. I'm moving my 3 buns outside when I get a shed, but I wont do it till its warmer, just incase.

Hiya
No she hasn't got a winter coat and yes you're right best wait until the warmer weather..they should have got together ages ago but I had to wait weeks until after Squirrel was neutered and then wait again for my o/h to finish the shed! I haven't managed to plan anything well with them:(

I have the same problem - a single house bunny who I am planning to bond with some of my outdoor ones, but can't do anything about it right now.
I'm going to wait till it warms up as I don't want to risk health problems - he's had enough of those already! I also don't much fancy spending a lot of time outside right now supervising bonding - its just too cold!!

I have the same problem - a single house bunny who I am planning to bond with some of my outdoor ones, but can't do anything about it right now.
I'm going to wait till it warms up as I don't want to risk health problems - he's had enough of those already! I also don't much fancy spending a lot of time outside right now supervising bonding - its just too cold!!

its freezing isn't it? I was wondering whether to put Squirrel in the shed on his own but he seems quite happy in the hutch. I was starting to get a bit reluctant bringing him in for a run round and putting him back out in the cold but feel a bit better knowing that this is ok to do after reading the article on winter bunnies!

no christmas tree for us this year then...madam spudsey will be climbing it!

same here!!!:shock:

Not that I'm feeling very christmassy at the moment anyway...but I've never not had a tree up!

Had a brain wave though not sure if o/h will agree....:lol: There is a little area in our little house that is neutral to both bunnies and may be alright for temporarily living together until the warm weather comes....

my understairs cupboard!!! :lol: Sounds madness I know but I would obviously leave the door open and let them use the square porch area as well, the cupboard goes quite far back and is no less space than if they were in a hutch run combo.

What do you reckon!?

I know - i have never not had a tree but i know every 3 seconds a part of it would be demoloished!!:roll: :roll:

That sounds like a good plan! Then they can move out in the shed in spring when it is warm etc and still get to be together now. And you can spend more time with them coz they will both be indoors with you.:D :D :rabbit2: :rabbit2:

Hiya!
My house buns live in an understairs cupboard and its perfect for them! Means all their "stuff" is kept in there too so they're not too in the way. Great idea and it keeps your new shed as neutral for when they're ready!

Hiya!
My house buns live in an understairs cupboard and its perfect for them! Means all their "stuff" is kept in there too so they're not too in the way. Great idea and it keeps your new shed as neutral for when they're ready!

Oooh great! Seems like an ideal place thought about it ages ago but dismissed it...have looked at it again and it seems ideal.

Have you got any photos?

Spudsey likes destroying the skirting boards have you any tips to stop her from doing it? Shes got other things to gnaw on but you can't beat a good old bit of skirting! :lol:

Have you got anything to stop the bunnies from coming out or do you let them free in a hallway? I'm thinking about a stair gate or something and then let them have more room when I come home?

good news! just spoke to my o/h (on his way back from wales) and he's agreed (well he's not got much choice :lol: ) to let the bunnies live under the stairs for a while!

yay!

My buns live in the cupboard under the stairs, they seem to like it. I have a puppy play pen round the door and the doors are all ways open. Good luck with this.

Oooh great! Seems like an ideal place thought about it ages ago but dismissed it...have looked at it again and it seems ideal.

Have you got any photos?

Spudsey likes destroying the skirting boards have you any tips to stop her from doing it? Shes got other things to gnaw on but you can't beat a good old bit of skirting! :lol:

Have you got anything to stop the bunnies from coming out or do you let them free in a hallway? I'm thinking about a stair gate or something and then let them have more room when I come home?

Sorry, been off the pc all weekend! My buns don't tend to like chewing the skirting (I'm lucky!) but i've got a dog crate in there with shelves made from wood and then i've got all their hay and litter and foods up on shelves above the cage.

The cupboard opens into the kitchen so they have run of that all day long and if i need to keep them in then i either shut the dog crate door, or i've got a metal pws style run to contain them. Seems to work well - if only i had tidy buns too! :lol:

I'll go find some pictures now to show you....

My buns have a bunny proof room at all times and I have a baby gate which I can open when we are at home, just make sure the bars are close enough together so the buns cant get through and fit it low enough that they can't get under. Got mine from toys r us.

I'll go find some pictures now to show you....

Here we go! This is the cupboard with their cage in...

IMG_1677.jpg

And this just shows that we leave the door open for them to come and go and eat hay!!

IMG_1678.jpg

Also shows all the mess (goes off to do some cleaning!) :oops:

That all looks great, surprising how many buns live in the cupboard! Its actually quite a nice space for them.

Just need to find a decent gate now to keep them in when i'm at work..Spudsey is tiny and can jump very high!

Back